PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Mayor outlines elaborate camera network for city

speedman
09-10-2004, 12:52 AM
September 9, 2004 (Chicago) — From a hi-tech command center, the City of Chicago plans to monitor a vast security network. Thousands of surveillance cameras will be linked -- and authorities will be alerted to crimes and terrorist acts. The mayor unveiled the plans for this new security network at a news conference this morning.

Click here (http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/090904_ap_ns_camera.html) for the rest of the story.

wreckerman
09-10-2004, 01:10 AM
Yes this is the same, as found in parts of Florida, Mayor Daley feels that if he spies on the entire city they will be able to stop crime. The funny thing about this is they've had a few of these up for a couple of years, and believe it or not on 2 occasions that I remember where police brutelity was suspected the tapes went missing. Go figure they also have these camera's mounted on toll booths and traffic lights, now they add camera's to high crime areas and the next thing you know, they'll be adding them to everybodies bedroom. Why not mount a few of these camera's at a city councilmens house so we can watch the city road crew put in his new driveway, or maybe his backyard, so we can watch his pool being dug, by city employee's same pool being filled by the city's fire department, and we can finish it off with the park district planting all his shrubs and flowers, but wait that would be an invasion of his private property. Oh ya the city needs more camera's.

wreckerman
09-10-2004, 01:16 AM
one other thing that I forgot to mention, is that when they are randomly monitoring public areas they also like to randomly run your mug shot for wants and warrents, this has been done sucessfully in Florida and has lead to the arrest of numorous people.

juicy
09-10-2004, 07:07 PM
saw this one on the news last night, and I find it to be a bunch of smoke and mirrors for the mayor to have toys...you know they will abuse what it was intended for, after all it's Chicago...

WolfSpectre
09-10-2004, 08:03 PM
I hear ya, wrecker, and agree 100%.

TomF
09-11-2004, 03:36 AM
Yeah, this is the scary stuff to me. We've got cameras all over the place out here in CA. We've also got the photo enforced stop light cameras. What a Big Brother scam that is!

speedman
09-11-2004, 02:47 PM
We've also got the photo enforced stop light cameras. What a Big Brother scam that is!

We had that in Toronto up until a few years ago before it was cancelled. This type of activity is nothing more than a money grab.