PDA

View Full Version : Any musicians in the crowd?

RhytmEarl
09-10-2004, 03:45 PM
Amatuer, semi-pro, pro? A lot of my musician friends are also riders so I'm wondering if any of my new rider friends here might be players too.

I've been playing on stage since I was 16, played full time between the ages of 20-24 - decided I didn't like starving and went back to finish my degree.

I never gave it up and I've been playing in bands for fun and to supplement my income to this day (I'm 50 now).

Oh, guitar's my first instrument but I've been heard making noise on just about anything that'll make a noise.

TexasFatBoy
09-10-2004, 06:27 PM
Not a musician (other than a little drunken karaoke once in awhile), but wanted to welcome you to the forums! 1beer

Mikey
09-10-2004, 06:34 PM
I bang on the piano rather amateurishly...long story short --- piano lessons at 10 years old, didn't touch a piano for 30+ years and now I'm trying to teach myself how to play.

I can read music, but I can't sight read and play a song the way it's supposed to sound. I have to slowly play the notes until I commit a piece to memory and then still can't play a song through without making a mistake.

Some of of the pieces I've committed to memory are Moonlight Sonata, movement I and part of movement II, It's a Grand Old Flag, Solace (a Scott Joplin ditty) and a couple of gospel tunes.

Learning to play the piano is very difficult, but learning it as an adult is even harder.

wreckerman
09-10-2004, 07:56 PM
well i sure cant call myself a musicians , or would you ...ha ha but i play a little guitair the only real problem i have is i am tone deaf,and have no rythem ., but i can play rock, but no roll, and i can play country, but no western. but i sure can intertain myself with some blues on the strings..

TexasFatBoy
09-10-2004, 09:02 PM
well i sure cant call myself a musicians , or would you ...ha ha but i play a little guitair the only real problem i have is i am tone deaf,and have no rythem ., but i can play rock, but no roll, and i can play country, but no western. but i sure can intertain myself with some blues on the strings..

Some blues, but no rhythm :P ...long as you don't try playing hip without the hop - that shit sounds bad enough to me in its native full form! :lol:

bikerTrash
09-11-2004, 01:50 AM
Welcom to the forums RhytmEarl,
I have a musicman 4 string in my game room, but for the last 6 years my OL is the only one whose touched it. (dusting it) http://img48.exs.cx/img48/423/band3.gif

TomF
09-11-2004, 03:26 AM
Played in two pickup bands back in high school, but that was 25 years ago! Now I mostly just make noise with my Ibanez electric.

BigRedMachine
09-11-2004, 03:37 AM
yeah... been slingin' the 4 string bastard for about 17 years now. I have a 4 string ergodyne Ibenez, 6 string frettless Aria Pro II - Steve Bailey signature model - run through my SWR head head w/ 15" SWR cabinet as well as 8 x 10" Gaillen-Krueger cabinets. Played in a KISS cover band in college - was in several bands during my 4 year stay in Dallas.... jammed with dudes like Drowning Pool (R.I.P. Dave) - local bands Medicine Man, Lynard Can't Fish, and the beloved Deep Rest. Well I still do what I do by myself and looked at doing some stuff in Houston... but just haven't done it as of yet.

That's it ... you can tell ... music is my love - and big hootered women!

tradrockrat
09-13-2004, 04:28 AM
Played Bass in a band a couple years ago. Mostly origional stuff, simple lines, drop D-- you know.

Started to really get into it. I built a cab with two 10's and a 15, then built a bass out of a piece of black walnut and a lot of supplies from Carvin. Then I moved out here to LA and haven't touched any of it since!!!

NWFatboy
09-13-2004, 04:48 AM
I can play the guitar side of dueling banjo's. I decided to learn it after looking around my neighborhood a little bit. :D

Took guitar in high school but kinda let it go till about a year ago when my middle son wanted to learn to play. I dug out my old Fender Musicmaster (1964), bought him a Fender Bass and a couple of amps.

Kinda frightening what we can do! :wacko:

Irokeesi
09-13-2004, 09:48 PM
In my "former life" I was a pro, but it didn't give enough money to live...
And ofcourse that lifestyle was begin to drink too much... caged So I gave up of musican lifestyle, got a hair cut and real job ( as G. Thorogood says)... So it took a couple a years and I had enough money to buy a Harley... ;)

kickvox1
09-20-2004, 03:12 PM
I've been a lead singer in a band since I was 15 (I'm 40 now). Gave it up for about 8 years........ too much smokin and drinkin. Quit smokin (but not drinkin bottomsup ) and went back to rockin. I also play some guitar, but only on a couple songs. I play a B.C. Rich Warlock (with a DiMarzio Tone Zone at the bridge) through a Digitech RP200A into a Peavy Stereo Chorus 400....It freakin screams. I also have a Univox Mossrite (I went through a punk period) and a vintage '60's Silvertone made by Dan Electro with a three tube 6in. speaker amp built into the case. Picked that one up at a garage sale for 5 bucks. Some people just don't know what they've got. Anyway....... check out........ www.swiftkick.cc And welcome to the HCG (I'm rather new here myself) Keep kickin.

mercedesrules
09-20-2004, 09:56 PM
http://www.mercedesrules.com/images/bob78%5b1%5d.jpg (http://www.thegodz.net/)
Me...in 1978. :rolleyes:

Click on picture...then "History Pt. 1" and "discography".

kickvox1
09-20-2004, 10:57 PM
Hey mercedesrules! Cool! No offence....... but I never heard of ya. Although...... ya went a lot further than I ever did. Are ya still playin? If your ever in upstate NY let me know. I'll come out and see ya. drunks

Motown
09-21-2004, 02:07 AM
I played in a couple of High School bands, but haven't played much since then. I own a Gibson Epiphone and an early 70's Peavey amp that I bought from an Elvis impersonator. I also confiscated my dad's acoustic Yamaha that he bought in the early 70's. I love the sound this thing has...

Anyway the only music I play now usually happens after a few to many beers. It never fails, it's always old Irish tunes that I suddenly decide to try and learn in my drunken state...oh my poor neighbors. Anyone else suffer from a similar problem?

Best regards,

mercedesrules
09-21-2004, 04:49 PM
Hey mercedesrules! Cool! No offence....... but I never heard of ya. Although...... ya went a lot further than I ever did. Are ya still playin? If your ever in upstate NY let me know. I'll come out and see ya. drunks

We had only spotty, regional success. I only play and record at home (http://www.mercedesrules.com/images/studio11.jpg), now. :)

kickvox1
09-21-2004, 07:16 PM
Damn! Nice setup. Can I come over and play? I'll only bring a few friends :D

harleybiker
09-21-2004, 11:52 PM
I used to play drums in an oldies band, (Beatles and such). Moved onto and learned the bass and continue to play these days :D . Will play with friends often and sometimes gig but not a steady thing.

hb

RHSquonk
09-22-2004, 02:15 PM
hmmm...Harleys and Music...who'd of thought? ;)
mercedesrules...I HAVE heard of you! I belive I saw you with Angel back in the day. Very cool!
I am also a musician. Main instrument is drums but also play guitar, bass, keys and a few wind instuments. I have a home recording studio that now only serves to prepetuate my musical masterbation!
I was a hired gun studio drummer for a long time and still do it now an again, I also did the orig rock thing and have toured around the globe, but I got sick of the egos in the biz and got out. Still have many friends in it though.
Current toy list includes 7 guitars and basses, keyboard racks, 2 drumkits with all the trimmings, and an obcene amount of outboard gear as well as hard disk recorders and computer based recording setup. I have midi crap but refuse to let a machine interpit the music. I just play the parts myself. The only machine I trust has a set of Screamin Eagles on it and a cheek splitter for the bride! :P
Great Thread!
-RHS

kickvox1
09-22-2004, 02:48 PM
Hey! mercedesrules....... It turns out that my drummer saw you at The Penny Arcade in Rochester NY after your first record came out. He still has the album. Pretty cool!

sporty93
09-22-2004, 03:27 PM
been following this thread, not so sure why i haven't joined in yet...

but my band played the Penny Arcade last summer! it's a small world i suppose. I have since left the band due to a new job and relocation (from NY to DC). we got to play the legendary cbgb's 3 times, also the continental twice, the chance in poughkeepsie (ny), MIT in boston, and countless little bars on or around long island. we were even on fuse tv (national tv) and interviewed live on their version of "trl". they are like the independent music station out there, not mtv or vh1, but a lot of cable carriers provide it. I have played bass for 4 bands now, but this last one was the most successful. check out our site, it's pretty good if i do say so myself...www.red11rock.com...my bro, who's in the band (gee-tar), designed it. i'm currently playing bass for a pop punk band in DC called the lost atoms. when that website is up, i will post it here. i currently play a sticker-covered ibanez soundgear through an ampeg 115 combo. not too crazy of a rig, but it does just fine. prior to that i was playing a peavy 65W combo that our drummer found by the side of the road....so anything is a step up! another old website from a band in college, single degree of freedom, is www.angelfire.com/ny5/favs (note the moto guzzi t-shirt on the opening page :D )

rawk!

B)

kickvox1
09-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Hey sporty93. What took ya so long to chime in? Checked out those sites...... pretty cool B) Look forward to seeing the new one. I actually grew up in Deer Park LI. You might know where that is. I guess it is a small world.................. but I wouldn't want to paint it. :D

sporty93
09-22-2004, 06:24 PM
haha! sorry for the delay. my dad actually worked in deer park for a while as a machinist, and i even worked in the shop there when i was in high school. my parents live about 15 minutes from there. ahhhh, i miss lawn guyland.

late.

sporty

kickvox1
09-23-2004, 03:36 PM
How long has it been since you were on LI? I was away for twenty years before I went back in '82 for my highschool reunion. Hasn't changed much. I actually met a bunch of my old friends at the Uneeda Rest, then went to Crazy Billy's Liquor to buy a bottle for the chick I was staying with. Ahhhhh some things never change. drunks

sporty93
09-27-2004, 11:21 AM
hey kickvox, sorry for the delay, i haven't been on the computer all weekend....i actually just moved to DC from long island at the end of january. i graduated from the U of Md in May 02, and went home for a year and a half, and now i'm back here (girlfriend, higher paying job, etc.). i am going to grad school right now, and hope to be back in ny (or at least closer to ny - maybe conn) within three years. what can i say, i love ny! it has attitude B)

dresserrydr
10-02-2004, 04:40 AM
Had 6 months of lessons in HS and the teach wouldn't teach me left handed so I quit. Found a right handed guitar while I was in the service and hacked it up to make it a lefty. Bought a les paul custom in 79 that was stolen from the ship parking lot outside of Seattle. Still owed $50 when it left me. Bought a new lefty 79 Strat in Seattle that I still have today. Got another Les Paul Custom and a few righty's for when friends stop by. Sang on a metal CD a couple tunes I wrote the words to. Just playing alone lately. Rock/Pop bands for a few years. No susccess except free beer. At a music store close they have a weekend warriors gig that hooks you up with same caliber musicians, let's you practice with a band manager 4 times then let's you play 5 or 6 songs on stage at a local hall. I did it once and had fun so I'm doing it again with the hopes of putting a rock band together. I'm too old top be pacxking tht shit around anymore so I need roadies. Preferably seat cover material!!LMAO!

Twanger
10-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Former touring artist here, settled down and started booking acts.... more profitable. Great site BTW>....[/img]

TexasFatBoy
10-06-2004, 03:33 PM
Welcome to the forums, Twanger! Gonna be in Nashville in a couple weeks visiting the folks - they just moved to Antioch! 1beer

Twanger
10-06-2004, 11:15 PM
Thanks TXFatBoy
Ever been to Bikini Beach biker bar in Antioch? Great joint, good folks. Like a lot of great places in Austin, say Ginnie's Little Longhorn! Ever hear of my good friend Dale Watson? Honky Tonk singer, the best!

Glad to drink a beer with you while you are in town.

TexasFatBoy
10-06-2004, 11:22 PM
Haven't spent much time in Antioch yet, but since the folks moved down there, I'm sure that will change!

Dale Watson is great - used to go see him every week at the Black Cat Lounge when he was just getting started. He had a great looking Indian for awhile! Love his music and need to go see him again - we used to kick back with a beer or two after every show at the Black Cat, but it's been a few years.

I'll give ya a shout when I head your way in a couple weeks - unfortunately it's a quick weekend, so I won't have the bike with me.

wreckerman
10-06-2004, 11:39 PM
twanger welcome to the hcg glad you maid it here.sit back grab a beer and have a look around post were you like ...and have you ever hurd of ron la sall he is a song writer down your way , used to have a hot band up here many years ago

Twanger
10-07-2004, 03:35 AM
Looking forward to it. miketwang@comcast.net

Twanger
10-08-2004, 01:18 AM
Shoot me an EM TXFATBOY and I'll shoot back my number...

Twanger
10-08-2004, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the welcome Wreckerman. Can't say I've ever heard of the guy but if you want to meet a songwriter in Nashville, order pizza!

Road_King_King
10-10-2004, 02:45 AM
12 string for me, but sure not professionally. Can play along with Merle Haggard though.

budking
10-12-2004, 03:15 PM
B) Starting playing out when I was sixteen and doing it off and on for 27 years. Trumpet is my main instrument although I strum some rythm when needed.

:P

whitewalls
10-15-2004, 03:18 AM
Gotta Fender Strat, a Fat Tele and my baby..a Beale Street Blue Special Issue Gibson Lucille thru a Hot Rod Deville x4. Oh, and I love droppin' names that's one reason I bought this ticket to the Harley Poor House with a new RK. Been playin' 4 35 yrs. and been in a few bands, now i just play to piss off the OL. I just got to figure out how to get that damn Gibson case in my saddlebags. Good Luck in here..you'll need it. groucho

whitewalls
10-15-2004, 03:28 AM
Gotta Fender Strat, a Fat Tele and my baby..a Beale Street Blue Special Issue Gibson Lucille thru a Hot Rod Deville x4. Oh, and I love droppin' names that's one reason I bought this ticket to the Harley Poor House with a new RK. Been playin' 4 35 yrs. and been in a few bands, now i just play to piss off the OL. I just got to figure out how to get that damn Gibson case in my saddlebags. Good Luck in here..you'll need it. groucho

whitewalls
10-15-2004, 03:28 AM

mercedesrules
10-18-2004, 03:17 AM
Damn! Nice setup. Can I come over and play? I'll only bring a few friends :D

No. :)

mercedesrules
10-18-2004, 03:24 AM
mercedesrules...I HAVE heard of you! I belive I saw you with Angel back in the day. Very cool!

:o Our joke was how good Punky Meadows looked in the morning compared to how we looked. :lol:

I am also a musician. Main instrument is drums but also play guitar, bass, keys and a few wind instuments. I have a home recording studio that now only serves to prepetuate my musical masterbation!
I was a hired gun studio drummer for a long time and still do it now an again, I also did the orig rock thing and have toured around the globe, but I got sick of the egos in the biz and got out. Still have many friends in it though.

Who are some of the people you played with?

Current toy list includes 7 guitars and basses, keyboard racks, 2 drumkits with all the trimmings, and an obcene amount of outboard gear as well as hard disk recorders and computer based recording setup. I have midi crap but refuse to let a machine interpit the music. I just play the parts myself. -RHS

Should I switch to computer-based next time? I use a midi sequencer synced to a hard-disk recorder now.

mercedesrules
10-18-2004, 03:28 AM
Hey! mercedesrules....... It turns out that my drummer saw you at The Penny Arcade in Rochester NY after your first record came out. He still has the album. Pretty cool!

Wild! I bump into a handful of people per year on the internet that have heard of us. Great to know you, kick!

Troublehead
10-19-2004, 08:53 AM
I played bass back when I was in high school, it started as sort of a joke for the talent show, then turned into something we ate, slept, and lived by. Made some friends, money and had a good time while it lasted (sort of).... Me and the drummer spend most of our spare time tearin' up the roads, instead of the strings/skins.... PLAY HARD RIDE FREE....

Epster
10-19-2004, 03:08 PM
Guitar for 17 years,,,I actually played with members of the Allmond Brothers Band. My guitar teacher told me one night that he had a special treat for me one night. We journeyed to a house in Roswell Ga and in walked who I thought was Sam Elliott. I thought wow!! Actually, this Sam Elliott look a like was my teachers brother. Then a pretty blonde woman came through the door and mentioned that she had the exact same guitar as I did, yet hers was much better. I asked her what she meant and she told me that hers was free. She said"Honey, I am Christine Allmond!" I jammed with her and the band minus the brothers for about 3 hours. I'll never forget that experience!

rwpatton
10-20-2004, 12:18 AM
Well shit! might as well admit it. Been to the 'PENNY ARCADE' rocked out with the 'Good Rats' and been all around rochester ny. Wife's from there, pretty cool in the summer. Winter sucks. Always thought 'Brother Weez on WCMF was a good dude.' I liked the way he would tell 'Deer hunters' "why the hell, do I want to shoot bambi, when I have hunted the most dangerous creature on earth" Dude did 3 tours in Vietnam and still has humor. B)

RW

Not a musician, just a onlooker. B)