PDA

View Full Version : Need touring advice... Going to buy this week

Rhino
08-02-2005, 05:33 AM
Hi,
I am going to buy either a "street glide" or a "road glide". I want a "stage kit", pipes and am seriously thinking of a 6 speed tranny. Any info/advice would be GREAT as to what you all recommend.

I am also worried about buying a 06 because of all the EPA drama going on. What's the real deal with that? Please tell me I am not going to buy a scoot that sounds like a honda...

Harley-Ray
08-02-2005, 05:41 AM
I just saw a Street Glide yesterday, I liked it, my wife hated it, if you plan to get a tour pack just get an Ultra and save some cash, get the 5 speed and the extended warranty, if the tranny or engine take a crap you have like 7 years and they will repace it. Cruise control is the key to touring in my opinion. It won't be long before all Harleys have the engine thats already in the Vrod. Harley wants us to ride quieter bikes.

Peace
Ray

Rhino
08-02-2005, 05:47 AM
In my old scoot (94 custom built fat boy) it ran some pretty high compression and it made high speed riding almost uncomfortable. The 6 speed sounds sweet but thinking about it makes me feel it's not worth it. Now what are some "must haves" when I order her? Should I go with a 103? a 95? I am leaning toward a 95 kit just to keep it reliable.

Oh yea the wife don't like the road glide either but when I ask her if she would ride on the back of a ridged she backs off. LOL

There is just something about that bike with a low profile windshield that makes me want it...

Robustus
08-02-2005, 06:22 AM
your not going to get the sound you want from stock pipes. It's a given pipes are a must to make the Harley experience what it is.

Kagan
08-02-2005, 06:29 AM
In the last year I've sold a few 6-speed trannies. The ratio drops nicely and the vibration is almost zilch. I haven't had anyone tell me that they've regretted it.

Old_Evo
08-02-2005, 12:58 PM
I have heard many good things about the HD 6 speed and of course the Baker. If you are worried about the 06 models this is really a good time to get into a new 05 and save some money. Just my .02

dynaRide
08-02-2005, 01:03 PM
In the last year I've sold a few 6-speed trannies. The ratio drops nicely and the vibration is almost zilch. I haven't had anyone tell me that they've regretted it.

2k$ tho wow. Been think about it here too. He kagan - Lucky1 chose the reach solo so far she's happy. Can u think of a pillion, not the one that hd sells to match but one that will cantilever the solo to give her some mo back support? 05-883L we discussed this some time ago.

lostdutchman
08-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Hey, Rhino. You should probably choose whatever you think looks the best, as far as "Road" vs. "Street". I do hear that the Road Glide's frame mounted fairing makes for a nicer long-distance ride, especially on Interstates with 18-wheelers screwing up the air flow. I've got a buddy with a Road Glide that did the Ness saddlebag extensions and low-profile windscreen, bike looks wicked slammed, but still rides like a dream. You don't need a tour-pak, a big Sac (coolsac.com) or T-bag gives you the same space for less cash.
As far as motor mods go, I've got a Road King Classic that was set up with the Stage 1 big bore kit (95 inch) when I picked it up. I had them do SE204 cams instead of the SE203's that come with the kit (broader torque band?). My wife and I are both "stretch" types, and we combine for about 370 lbs. This bike still has plenty of torque, even when loaded down with luggage, and it rocks when I'm solo on it. I personally think the 103 inch may be a little much for some of the stock Harley parts (tranny, cases, cam drive) when your gonna tour. As far as the 5 vs. 6 speed, my RK (5 speed) will spin all day at 80 mph, and hasn't spit out any parts yet (knock on wood). 6th gear would be nice, but big bucks. Heat management seems like it would be a problem with the 103, especially if you're using the extra HP on mountain roads and stuff. There's an HCG dude named Drebbin that used to have a tricked out 103, but dumped it when a lot of stuff broke at the same time. I think he's ridin a Honda or Yamaha now. As far as noise, I've got the Screamin' Eagle touring mufflers (p/n 65115-98B) on my RK, not too loud, but good power.

momsridin
08-04-2005, 11:55 AM
Hi,
I am going to buy either a "street glide" or a "road glide".

Hey Rhino those street glides sure look good to me. I ride a 96 evo Fatboy. I made the mistake of riding my husbands FLHT down the highway the other day. WOW what a dream ride. I love my Fatboy but it sure is making me consider changing bikes one more time.

08-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Street Glide or Road Glide?

It's a no-brainer for me. Road Glide! Why?

The Road Glide has more going for it and cost less:

1. Cruise Control
2. EFI (standard)
3. Weight (less than Street Glide)
4. Dual Headlamp (Street Glide - single w/o passing lamps)
5. Frame mounted fairing
6. More color options
7. H-D indicates 4.0 qts oil (vs. 3.8 Street Glide?)

Some people don't like the looks of a Road Glide. Most serious riders love it.

Rhino
08-05-2005, 03:18 AM
Well thanks for the advice folks! I think I am going to get the "Street Glide" I went out to the dealer today and got to see, sit on and ride both. They both rode great but I fell in love with the Street Glide (EFI). I felt like such a kid LOL. It's going to be a few weeks before I can actual get one and I told that to the sales guy and he still insisted I went for a ride on them both. So I did and will be back to get it in a month or two.

Here is what I still need to know. Should I go with a stage 1 or a stage 2?

I am going to get a Power Commander, Rinehart pipes, bag liners and a sissy bar. That should be a good start.

Kagan
08-05-2005, 03:56 AM

2k$ tho wow. Been think about it here too. He kagan - Lucky1 chose the reach solo so far she's happy. Can u think of a pillion, not the one that hd sells to match but one that will cantilever the solo to give her some mo back support? 05-883L we discussed this some time ago.

Not off the top of my head. Sorry.

Kagan
08-05-2005, 04:02 AM
Stage 1 is a must. Add a cam? Heh, you can always do that another time. Here's something that some new buyers don't know....

Every part installed on the bike before you take delivery is added to the SWR warranty. What the fuck does that mean? If you buy an extended warranty, all those parts get added to it. Yup. A shitload of problems that may occur with performance issues will be covered. ;)

Just ask your sales guy to make sure that the service bill that's attached to your sales deal gets entered correctly. If you need me to confirm it, I have access to all SWR's online. :D

Rhino
08-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Well Monday is the big day I am heading out to the dealer to buy the Street Glide. I bet I don’t get much freaking sleep in the next few days...

My brother In-law is getting the same bike so we are hoping to get a little better deal on the purch of two. I will let you all know what happens.

Hey Kegan should we expect a really good deal (below MSRP) if we are buying the 2 at once? If so how good of a deal?

Kagan
08-08-2005, 12:42 AM
Depends on the local market. Sorry I really can't anticipate their move, but they should help for sure. Are you getting any kind of P&A package deal? Sometimes a dealer will toss in $1000 worth of stuff. Maybe try for $1300 each. :D

Rhino
08-11-2005, 04:18 AM
Well it finally happened. I signed the papers tonight! My Vivid Black Street Glide comes in on 8/29! I feel like a little kid on xmas morning! We got a pretty good deal at Chicago Harley. Free setup (almost a grand at some dealers around here) a few hundred off the MSRP, detachable sissy bars and a few other little things. They ended up saving us 2 grand out the door compared to all the other dealers in our area. They also offer 20% off parts for anyone who walks in the door. The other places offered it one time and only if you bought from them. Now the only problem I have is getting to sleep tonight!!!

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Kagan
08-11-2005, 04:37 AM
WooHoo! :D :D :D

Deluxe05
08-11-2005, 01:37 PM
Way cool! Congrats, Rhino!!

As for the six-speed, I know you are in the touring league, but it really comes down to how much you expect to be on the interstate(s). I splurged for a six-speed gearset & 95-bore job at the beginning of the year (had to do something with my tax return!!), and have found that 75+ is really the only speeds wherein I can use overdrive--even with the extra ponies from the 95-bore. Long flat sections will be your friend, but it is an overdrive gear, in the strictest sense. You will find yourself constantly falling back on 5th (or lower gears) to pass someone, make your way up hills, etc.

gliderider94
08-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Hey Rhino, I just caught this thread and I have to say that if you are really intent on puttin in some touring miles, the Road Glide is so much more bike then the Street Glide. I really don't consider them in any way comparable. Touring Rider magazine has for the last 5 or 6 years in a row named the Road Glide as the number one touring bike made as pertaining to comfort, handeling and performance in reagrds to the needs of the touring rider (pretty lofty praise when compared to a Gold Wing or the big Beamer). I have three club bro's who have been riding FLH style dressers for nearly 30 years and they all recently switched to new Road Glides. They all say the Road Glide kicks the FLH's ass in all respects. The biggest compliment I've heard is that once you get used to the fixed fairing the thing drives like a LeMans style track bike. It holds the twisties way better due to much more streamlined and fixed aerodynamics and has absolutely no wind buffet effect when doing high speed touring riding (an issue for which the FLHT's are famous for).

Holly crap!!! This is the second time this week I agreed with FLH-EBAY. Wow, maybe we're more alike the I imagend possible (this should worry you FLH, it can only be an improvement for me!!!)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rhino
08-12-2005, 02:27 AM
Thanks Folks!
As far as the RG goes I love that scoot too, but I don't plan on many long trips so I wanted something in between a softail and bagger. Most of our trips are to the lake and that’s only a couple of hours away. The SG should be good for my needs. I love it's style and it comes with a lot of the stuff I would of put on myself.

As far as the 6 speed goes. I decided to wait, if I get it at all.

Thanks again folks!

TexasFatBoy
08-12-2005, 03:51 AM
Congrats, Rhino! Glad to hear ya got the deal done the way ya wanted! Now let's see how much sleep ya get for the next two weeks and how many trips to the dealer you'll make - just to look! :lol:

Rhino
08-12-2005, 06:02 AM
I wasn't even thinking about going to the dealer until the bike arrived!! Where did I put my check book??? Thanks for the idea! LOL MUHAHAHAHAHA

TexasFatBoy
08-12-2005, 01:25 PM
Well, like they say, the purchase price is just the downpayment! :lol:

That's why we're here - helping each other spend more $$$ we don't have! :lol:

speedman
08-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Congrats Rhino. The Street Glide is a cool bike.

Regards,

SM

daharleyrdr@hotmail.com
08-13-2005, 08:14 PM
ATTENTION ALL
Just to let you guys know I just found out after coming from the dealer all 2006 Touring Bikes have a catalitic converter in the pipes, check it out yourself look at the pipes and you can see how the hole is smaller than the 05's like cars its against federal laws to change the pipes were screwed EPA got us sorry for the bad news Bill groucho

Rhino
08-21-2005, 04:00 PM
ATTENTION ALL
Just to let you guys know I just found out after coming from the dealer all 2006 Touring Bikes have a catalitic converter in the pipes, check it out yourself look at the pipes and you can see how the hole is smaller than the 05's like cars its against federal laws to change the pipes were screwed EPA got us sorry for the bad news Bill groucho

Yea I did know that. But I am not sure when the laws are mandatory. I don't think it's as of right now because all the 2006's would have em. Lets say the law doesn’t require cats in bikes until 2007 I will be grandfathered in and can strip those suckers off and still be ok (knock on wood). Also in IL there are no motorcycle inspections so I am good there too. I wanted the scoot badly and will deal with the cats as time allows (and availability of after market parts come to fruition).

I do want to hand it to HD, being an early adaptor will help the company deal with the laws as they are put into place. Cars have had cats for the longest time and you can still squeeze ponies out them. This is just another hurtle to get past and a fact of life. Besides a little clean air never hurt anyone...

Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the heads up.

bfred
08-23-2005, 09:24 PM
My Vivid Black Street Glide comes in on 8/29!

tick...tock...tick...tock...tick...tock...tick...t ock...tick...tock... :D

Congrats! 1beer

Rhino
08-23-2005, 09:35 PM
My Vivid Black Street Glide comes in on 8/29!

tick...tock...tick...tock...tick...tock...tick...t ock...tick...tock... :D

Congrats! 1beer

Now that was funny!!! Sad part is I can hear the tick...tock in my head now!!! LOL

bfred
08-23-2005, 09:48 PM
Just blowin' ya a little smoke. Sux waitin', but it'll be worth it!
You'll be ridin' it this time next week. :)

Waited six months for my first Harley.

Post some pix when she comes in!

dannytheman
08-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Congrats Rhino from a newbie. Sounds like you made a great choice. I own a Electro Glide Standard and haven't looked back. BTW, I got the Black Cherry Pearl that only came out for the 2005 year. They changed to Red in 2006.

I have added foot pegs to the crash bars and some easy chrome additions, but I ride rain or shine, and clean rarely. The main thing is you'll be riding in 2 days...

bfred
08-30-2005, 08:27 PM
Well...did ya pick her up yesterday Rhino? :unsure:

Rhino
08-30-2005, 09:31 PM
Actually it was supposed to be put on the truck yesterday (from Harley) but it wasn't. I just got off the phone and its status is still not loaded up yet. Oh well when it shows up it will be worth the wait! Trust me when I say you guys will hear all about it once I get the scoot! Thanks for asking!

GOD give me the patience to wait a few more days! :rolleyes:

Rhino
08-31-2005, 06:35 PM
OK folks it SHIPPED last night (8/30). If it gets there on Friday it's mine this weekend! Keep your fingers crossed!

Rhino
09-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Well I am picking up the scoot tonight! Wish me luck and thanks to all that helped me with my barrage of questions (Kegan is the man)!

Kagan
09-02-2005, 08:57 PM
[blushes] Shut the Hell up and RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

TexasFatBoy
09-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Congrats, Rhino! Carry toothpicks for a while to get the bugs outta the smile before ya kiss the ladies! 1beer

bfred
09-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Get out of that damn doghouse and post pix! :D

kdsberg
09-30-2005, 05:38 AM
I'm a previous owner of the Road Glide, and now a current owner of a Street Glide. There is no doubt that the Road Glide is more stable in wind, high speeds, or gusts. I liked the clean fender look, and so on. But I bought the Street Glide this time because I sit so tall on a bike and didn't get very good protection for my face. And with this new fairing closer to me, I (as well as, my passengers) get better protection without having to have a huge windshield. Personally, I don't think that you can go wrong with either.