PDA

View Full Version : skinny boy gets fat boy

bikedoctor
08-04-2005, 04:27 PM
Finally, I feel legitimate posting here. I did my training course a couple of weeks ago. Went to the Harley dealer and they only had a couple of unsold 06s on the floor - a nightrod (awesome but too much for me) and a Sportster. I was hoping for a softtail and was disappointed in the number of bikes on offer. I went back yesterday after having convinced myself that the Sportster was the way to go for a newbie - a little less power and weight, good for learning. But on display a B-A-utiful vivid black 06 Fat Boy. So goodbye Sportster hello fatboy. I pick it up on Monday (I was hoping for Saturday but the wife is pulling a power trip thing and has me all booked up with the kids for Saturday - she aint happy but too fkn bad). I am just keeping it stock for now and will add more as time goes by and needs and wants become apparent.
So I am thrilled and a little terrified. Any advice for that first ride home - one hour on country twolane highways? And one country block of gravel road to get to my house!

WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!

johnnyb57
08-04-2005, 04:46 PM
nice, and if us males only bought things that the wife approved of we"d have nothing, wait she'll come around.. at least you'll have time to get a little use to the bike before you hit the gravel, just take your time and you'll be alright. as far as riding in the gravel BE CAREFUL, and don't go to slow, shit last week out on a ride went to a guys house that had pea stone drive way that was 6 inches thick and about 200 yards long what a trip driving the rk on that, but got through it, one of the guys rode over his new lawn to avoid it, good thing he wasn't home to see that..enjoy the fat boy..oh and don't forget the pics

SHOVELHEADROB
08-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Congrats on the new ride. woot
Drop us some photos.

Take your time, learn your ride.

Knowing your your limits and surroundings is half the battle to a safe ride home.

Be safe, and congrats again,
Shovelhead Rob.

fatboyridestexas
08-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Hey there Bikedoctor, congrats on the new Fatboy I have one myself and i enjoy the hell out of it.. As far as the ride home look out for the other people because they are not looking out for you........

RCRider
08-04-2005, 04:51 PM
Congrats Doc!

Just take it easy and get to know the bike and the roads. You could of driven those roads hundreds of times in your cage, but on the bike, it's a whole new experience. ie. those curves that say 40mph that you take going 50mph on in your cage, well take it at 35 on the bike at first.

soon enough i'm sure you'll be taking them at 80 :unsure: :unsure:

Mellisa
08-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Huge congratulations! I never met a fatboy I didn't love.

ShyGnome
08-04-2005, 05:31 PM
Congrats Doc!

Funny how the choice can change at the last minute. I was looking for a Fatboy when I bought the Heritage Classic.

"one hour on country twolane highways?"

too bad it isn't longer!!!!

Robustus
08-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Congrats on the ride.
keep in mind it may take 1000 miles on the seat to really learn the bike so take it easy.

08-04-2005, 05:44 PM
...So goodbye Sportster hello fatboy.

Nice choice!

I pick it up on Monday (I was hoping for Saturday but the wife is pulling a power trip thing and has me all booked up with the kids for Saturday - she aint happy but too fkn bad).

She'll come around once you take her for a spin -- but, watch out, she may want her own!

So I am thrilled and a little terrified. Any advice for that first ride home - one hour on country twolane highways?

Ride the bike around an empty parking lot, or other open area for awhile to get a handle on the weight and how it responds to the controls; then head out into traffic, keeping a little "extra space" around you. It won't take long before it's as comfy as an old shoe.

And one country block of gravel road to get to my house!

Just maintain a reasonable speed in the gravel, get your fanny off the seat and keep you balance and a good grip on the bars. The big "fat" front tire on that bike will help. You'll do fine.

Horse
08-04-2005, 05:47 PM
I am just keeping it stock for now and will add more as time goes by and needs and wants become apparent.
So I am thrilled and a little terrified.

WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!
Congrats on your new ride. Just take your time, being a little terrified should pass very quickly and being thrilled should last a lifetime.

I agree with you idea of keeping it stock for a while, but awhile is a relative term, lets see what winter brings.

LR24
08-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Congratulations, and enjoy it. :D

dynaRide
08-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Congrats man as long as u wish u had a HD it was all good b4 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tony
08-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Hey skinny boy, congrats on the new Fatty!!!

Like it has been said...get used to the bike the best you can, but do it slowly. No rush, and besides, theres the 500 mile break in period, so you would be going wide open down the highway just yet anyway. Be cool, and be aware of others on the roads.

Keeping it stock for now is a good idea, as once you start riding it more, your tastes will probably change for customizing it.

As for the gravel road....constant speed, not too fast...not too slow...try to go straight through it, and no sudden turns of the handlebars.

Good luck and congrats again!

bikedoctor
08-04-2005, 06:05 PM
thanks for the support guys (and gals). I am ready to explode with excitement.

The dealer gave me the maual to look over. HOLY WARNING SIGNS BATMAN! 90% of the damn thing is warnings for idiots. Here are about the only two they forgot

Do not insert this motorcycle into your nose as it may lead to serioius injury or death.

Do not drive this motorcycle at high speed towards an American military base wearing a turban and shouting "death to the infidels" as this may lead to serious injury or death.

I will keep you posted and post pics after Monday, if I get off the damn thing long enough to sit at a computer.

Cheers

ShyGnome
08-05-2005, 02:31 AM
Robustus makes a good point : it may take 1000 to learn the bike. I predict you will find a moment of clarity. Mine was at 560. It will be that flawless series of turns followed by a feeling of control. Don't rush it, take it easy and the MOC will come.

Brutis
08-05-2005, 05:23 AM
Congrats on the fatboy.
I just bought my 06 night train last Tuesday and drove er home from the dealer the next day. What an awesome feeling it was driving a new bike home. Take your time and enjoy the ride. If it does help putt around in a empty parking lot before hitting the road.
Ride safe :)

BikerBabe
08-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Robustus makes a good point : it may take 1000 to learn the bike. I predict you will find a moment of clarity. Mine was at 560. It will be that flawless series of turns followed by a feeling of control. Don't rush it, take it easy and the MOC will come.
Same experience for me...all of a sudden, I got it....can't tell ya what the exact mileage was though. :rolleyes:
You could always have them deliver it if ya worried. Other than that, just take it easy....it's much different then riding those bikes at the MSF course and way more expensive too if ya need to make repairs.
Congrats...good luck....and ride safe! :)

thesmithiz
08-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Congratulations on the new ride. I think you will be better with the FB than the Sporty. I started with a Sporty so had no choice or referance. But now after riding my RK the weight thing is all metal, sure it's heavier but the Sporty has a top heavy feel. As far as power the Sporty was no slouch but regardless that is all in your right hand.
Cool deal for you and by the way the AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH feeling never really goes away!