Thread: 2002 FLHR Fork Oil Change

HCG Technical HCG TechnicalSenior Member JD's Avatar

2002 FLHR Fork Oil Change

Can you guys give me some clarification on Road King fork oil change? Keep in mind its the large touring fork with the conventional dampener (non-air dampener cartridge) in both legs. The H-D Service Manual says I need to completely remove and disassemble the forks to change the oil. I'm not buying it. On the Sportster, I can remove the lower fork drain plugs, pump the forks to push the oil out the drain holes, replace the drain plug screws, and refill the new oil from the top nut above the triple trees. One dealer says they drain it out the drain holes and rig up some sort of pump and tubing to force new oil back in through the fork drain holes which will save the time of removing the headlight nacelle.

I'd prefer to do it myself, like the Sportster - drain the old oil out the fork lower drain holes and refill it from the top nuts above the triple tree to the volume specified in the manual. Will this method work?

HCG Technical HCG SupporterHCG TechnicalSenior Member Relic's Avatar

Re: 2002 FLHR Fork Oil Change

You have to remove the pig nose. The trick told to you by the dealer is for air supplied dampers.
    My Golf Swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch.

Senior Member Senior Member xxxflhrci's Avatar

You have do it just like your Sportster. You have no air lines to "draw" the oil back into the leg, like you could do on the earlier models.

Thanks for the replies. One more question...are the fork tube top nuts holding spring pressure like the sportster? I recall changing the fork oil on an evo fatboy by the "Sportster" method, but the fork tube top nuts were not holding the spring pressure - no problems whatsoever. Can I just remove these nuts and pour the stated amount of oil in without removing anything else (besides the nacelle and fork tube top nuts)?

Senior Member Senior Member xxxflhrci's Avatar

Yes, the fork cap is under pressure. But, if I remember correctly, there is a top plug in the cap that you can remove. It is a smaller hole than the fork spring, so the spring won't fly out.

Senior Member Senior Member wreckerman's Avatar

when refilling you might want to raze the frount tire off the ground , that way the springs well have less presser on them with the forks fulley extended
    Bucket list are for Sissie, men do it while they can enjoy it

Thanks, Wreckerman, yes that is what I did when I did the Sporty and Fat Boy forks. Pump out the oil by compressing and releasing the forks with the bike on the ground with lower fork drain screws out then remove the fork top caps and refill on the frame lift. Just wanted to clarify I could do the job on the FLHR the same way, without removing the forks BEFORE I drained out the oil, and refilling was as simple as removing the fork top caps and pouring it back into the fork again without disassembly.

Wanted to revisit this thread as I will be changing the fork oil soon. Can anyone confirm that the Road King forks WITHOUT the one internal cartridge or the air lines ('00-'06?) can be refilled from the fork tube "cap" without removing or disassembling the forks? My intent as noted previously is to let the oil drain from the lower leg drain plugs and refill from the top after disassembling the headlight nacelle.