Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to break into a gun safe

Senior Member Biker

How to break into a gun safe

Well here is the problem. I had a big Sportsman gun safe built into my house when it was built. It is built onto a secret room adn anchored to the floor. It cannot be moved without breaking thought the outside waslls. I used to to store a few gunsabut mostly a collction of mine which has now become quite valuable. My concern now is that it will be brokin into and I iwll be out lots of mula with no insurance. So I want to know what I can do to add protection. The house is already alarmed with an unsophisticated system. What can I do to streanghten the safe and make it more break in proof? It has 3/16" door with a combo lock and 1/8" body. Some of you must have experience breaking into these. How do you do it? Drill/grind throught the body or diaable the combonation lock.
    let me know so I can sleep better.
    I put in a small surrprise for someone drilling into the top. I put a dozen cans of car starting fluid on thierr side pressed againtt the top.ANyone dirlling into it will puncture a can and release the strter flid all over his soon to be toasted body.
    Any ideas?
    "We come in low out of the rising sun, and then we turn on the music..."

Senior Member Senior Member Cary's Avatar

Re: How to break into a gun safe

If it were me, I would add a rider on the insurance policy to cover the collection, and take a lot of pictures or a video of it to be used as evidence of what it is.
    Life is about how much fun you can cram in, between busting your ass to pay for it.

Cary

Senior Member Hardcore Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Cary
    If it were me, I would add a rider on the insurance policy to cover the collection, and take a lot of pictures or a video of it to be used as evidence of what it is.
    This is a very good suggestion. I've had a lot of experience with this
    sort of issue and it sounds like you've done all that you can do short
    of putting in a very expensive alarm system that links you directly to
    the local police department. As I prefer my privacy and the State
    Government out of my personal business, I would suggest the same
    thing that Cary has suggested and take out separate insurance on
    your Firearms. I have this very type of insurance on my firearms and
    it's fairly reasonable. If you'd like me to E-mail you some information,
    give me a shout and I'll get back to you.

Dawg
    "Life's to short to hang with angry people!"

Senior Member Hardcore Biker HankL's Avatar

ANyone dirlling into it will puncture a can and release the strter flid all over his soon to be toasted body.
    Won't your collection get toasted also?

Secrecy is the best bet in a situation like yours but due to your concern it sounds like that may have been compromised. In that case, gambling with the insurance company, like Carey says, may be the best bet. You are only hoping that the co. will pay you as much as you value your collection and we know, post Katrina, how that can be.

The safe, while installed, would be tough to add hardness to so other layers of protection are what you need. Alarm systems, dogs,
    general home security all add up. The more time it takes, the less attractive the target.

HTH
    Enjoy The Ride!

Senior Member Hardcore Biker

I don't know nothing about nothing when it comes to gun safes, or personal safes in general, but I most certainly wouldn't be telling no-one about what I own or that I keep it locked in a safe in my home, if my dog is earning his keep, and you try and rob me, when I get home the theiving mf are still in my house trying to figure out how to get anything out, without losing flesh and blood in the process....just my 2 cents, iffin it's worth that.....
    If left alone to amuse myself I can.....but I'd rather pick on others!

Senior Member Senior Member NY90's Avatar

If you haven't done so already, get some alarmed stickers and put them all over. Even if you're not hooked into a central station, no one else knows it and it's a deterent.
    We don't stop playing because we get old,
    We get old because we stop playing

Senior Member Hardcore Biker Jamorris's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WOFARTED
    I put in a small surrprise for someone drilling into the top. I put a dozen cans of car starting fluid on thierr side pressed againtt the top.ANyone dirlling into it will puncture a can and release the strter flid all over his soon to be toasted body.
    Any ideas?
    You just implicated yourself in an attempt to do bodily harm with an IED. If it ever gets activated, some lawyer is likely to find this post from you. Get rid of those cans and buy insurance, if you truly are worried for some logical reason. Get a better security system, too.

Think about that gizmo. If it goes off inside a decent safe, the safe will contain the fire and possibly send a torch-like jet out the bore hole. Your guns are gone and very likely your whole home. Any ammo in there????? If so, compound the damages.

Besides, a decent artist would open it just like you do.

If someone wants your bike, or gun bad enough, it is gone. It is one of todays realities. Get used to it.

Jerry

Senior Member Hardcore Biker Jamorris's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by "
    Secrecy is the best bet in a situation like yours but due to your concern it sounds like that may have been compromised. In that case, gambling with the insurance company, like Carey says, may be the best bet. You are only hoping that the co. will pay you as much as you value your collection and we know, post Katrina, how that can be.
    HTH
    Having the guns appraised and insured for that value is pretty secure. You have a record of values, pictures and serial numbers. If the Insurance Company renigs,you charge them with fraud and recover all of your monetary losses.

Jerry

Senior Member Senior Member Righteous's Avatar

if the safes hidden and and bolted to the floor dont woory bout it unless its a cheapO safe in that case get a cannon safe.
    Insurense will not cover ya guns if you do not have serial numbers listed and pictures would be good to go with it, without that they usually will only give you a flat $1000 for ALL your guns no matter what they cost, i have digital pics of all my guns and there serial number and what i payed or what there worth on computer and on a CD in smaller safe hidden

Senior Member Senior Member xxxflhrci's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cary
    Exacty.....I have a 10k rider on my house insurance for guns. It is less than 40 bucks a year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast