Thread: Electra Glide to Road King conversion

Senior Member Biker

Electra Glide to Road King conversion

Here's something to ruminate on. Or think about, depending on your preference. I'm looking at buying LVThunder's '86 Electra glide. My problem is that all along on the current quest I've been thinking about lighter, slimmer bikes. So because it's such a good deal I've begun to consider what the world might be like with a Road King kind of bike. I really don't think I'd ever get used to the faring, CB, high trunk, armchair life with the bike as it is, but after sitting on a few baggers today down at the local, I'm inclined to think I might like the RK sort of thing. Definitely without the fairing.

Is this impossible or way stupid, or just mildly nuts.

The conversion would take moving the speedo/tach to the tank h, but what else. What's up with the lights on the fork. I think the outboard pair mount to the fairing.

All opinions would be entertained, if not appreciated. Or some such words to that effect.

Dan
    Last of the Worlds Great Human Beings

Senior Member Senior Member

Re: Electra Glide to Road King conversion

My ride from 1997 to 2005. Then a slight jump of 47 years. I couldn't go back to a chopper only. I'd like one, but after the kids are out of the house.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A heart stained in anger grows weak and grows bitter, you'll become your own prisoner as you watch yourself sit there wrapped up in a trap of your very own chain of sorrow.
    -John Prine

Senior Member Biker

I do really like the looks of the Road King. And I'm told the ride is sublime. The main differences between the Electra Glide and the Road King all seem to be centered around the headlight and instruments.

You're the parts guy Kagen. Given that LVThunder's bike is an '86, how tough is it going to be to get from where it is now, (see in bikes for sale) to something that looks roughly like the Road King?

I looked in The Fat Book this evening for some hint and don't see any direct applications but lots of possibles.

Dan

Senior Member Senior Member

if you remove the faring ill buy it from you! the gauge cluster does not move to tank it moves down to a housing mouted below the faring . i have an 85 clide with that setup and want the radio and stuff in faring just a thought ill try and get a pic of my h
    1995 Road King
    1994 Suburban
    2 ex wifes
    1 lovely bride
    3 daughters
    1 grand daughter
    1 rat terrior
    1 big headache

Senior Member Biker

I am doing the same thing to a 2001 & updating it. I need help on EFI, so U can read my post on slimming down the Road King. My target weight will be in the 500 lbs neighborhood (I got it figured). I have used Dakota Digital on my FXR & loved it as far as gauges go. This is my 6th bike to add to the stable as my 1975 FX (II bought new), 78 custom showbike, Thunder Mountain chrome Hardtail/100 ci Revtec, & 2003 Kenny Boice FXR/TP 113, 2005 Dyna Lowrider which is being sold for $10.5 w/3K mi, as these bikes are getting a little too lacking in available creature comforts (I am getting older) such as a batwing fairing & Ultra lowers (all removable of course) & no RADIO![u] for every day use (but great for a jaunt!)

Senior Member Biker

Quote Originally Posted by FATBACK
    if you remove the faring ill buy it from you! the gauge cluster does not move to tank it moves down to a housing mouted below the faring . i have an 85 clide with that setup and want the radio and stuff in faring just a thought ill try and get a pic of my h
    Sounds dooable Fatback. I would like to see the photo of your h setup.

Senior Member Biker

Quote Originally Posted by fastharley
    I am doing the same thing to a 2001 & updating it. I need help on EFI, so U can read my post on slimming down the Road King. My target weight will be in the 500 lbs neighborhood (I got it figured). I have used Dakota Digital on my FXR & loved it as far as gauges go. This is my 6th bike to add to the stable as my 1975 FX (II bought new), 78 custom showbike, Thunder Mountain chrome Hardtail/100 ci Revtec, & 2003 Kenny Boice FXR/TP 113, 2005 Dyna Lowrider which is being sold for $10.5 w/3K mi, as these bikes are getting a little too lacking in available creature comforts (I am getting older) such as a batwing fairing & Ultra lowers (all removable of course) & no RADIO![u] for every day use (but great for a jaunt!)
    I checked out your post, looks like an interesting project. Keep us posted.

Senior Member Senior Member LVThunder's Avatar

Ya know Skybolt......looking at this bike sitting in my garage I am wondering what can be done to it too.

I might just start taking crap off and see what I can do to it.
    Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convinence store, not a government agency

Senior Member Biker

Re: My own Electra Glide to Road King conversion

I have kept the 2001 frame, updated the swing arm to a later & more ridged 2007 w/1” axle. I put in Sta-Bo bushings into the swing arm. I bought a 124 S&S polished twin cam & polished the trans case & put in Spyke 6 speed cluster. I used my front end that is Superbike/Ohlins internals quality & set for my weight & bike. This puts the fork tubes in front of the stem. I made the triple trees to have the 0 degree rake and stem offset to give a rake/trail of 26ฐ & 3.74”. This gave me 3 1/2 “of extra backbone to stretch a tank a total of 6 ฝ” for added fuel. I am introducing my carbon fiber 16” wheels @ Myrtle Beach. The 16” are the only front wheel size that will accommodate tires that have a load capacity of 71. It is very important not to load your front tire over its limit.
    The front end will add steering response and maneuverability thru the twisties and the reduced rotating mass of a 4.6 & 5.4 pound carbon fiber wheel will add to increased handling capabilities both in acceleration, turning, and stopping.