Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&S engine and starter problems

Junior Member Biker

S&S engine and starter problems

I'm a mechanic ( ducati ...) and I got a Harley for a little price, but there are some problems, which I knew.
    I'm not quit familiar with the HD engine types etc. My engine is a S&S 96 CI Evolution style. I noticed already that the starter is not ok. And it seems lots of people worked already on it to find the real problem. I was thinking of buying a spyke Hi-torque starter motor but can somebody tell me if this is a good idea? and I have to make a choice for Big twin model 89-93 or Evo Big twin 94 -99 ? And what is the difference between both models or how can I recognize wat I have .

Senior Member Hardcore Biker springer-'s Avatar

Re: S&S engine and starter problems

What is the actual problem with your starter? Does it turn the engine over too slow or not at all? Does it click and make grinding noise? Can you hear the starter motor spin when it should be trying to start it?
    http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com

Big Boyz Street Heads
    207-242-8374 Cell Phone
    207-621-8089 Port/Dyno Shop

Junior Member Biker

The main problem I have was that the motor doesn't turn fast enough. Sometimes the startermotor doesn't even want to come out. And finally the startermotor get too warm .
    Checked the cables: ok, checked the ground : ok . Tried with a heavier HD battery , just the same.
    I havent built out the starter yet.

You may want to pull the plugs and see if the engine turns over at regular speed. This is to confirm that your problem is with the higher compression of the S&S motor. If it is, check to see if you have compression releases installed. They may be electric and mounted in the center of the head. You would need to look down from the top, most likely with the gas tank removed to see if they are there. It may be that they need to be hooked up or you might need to find out if they are working. Just a guess.

Big Boyz Street Heads
    207-242-8374 Cell Phone

Junior Member Biker

There is on both cilinders already manual decompression mounted and they work. My idea is that the original starter has not enough torque and has a hugh elektric consumption. But if so my question is has anyone experience with this problem and that kind of S&S engine;

Typically the Stock Harley starters are good for most mild builds and even the 96" S&S EVO's. And if the engine has compression releases the stock starter should be more than good enough.

You may have an aftermarket starter already, just a guess. It does certainly sound like your starter has problems. It is also possible that the outer primary cover is binding the starter jack shaft, I have seen that before.

Big Boyz Street Heads
    207-242-8374 Cell Phone

Junior Member Biker

I've seen there has been worked at the starter already. The outer covers look nice , but the part between it ( field or stator ) look older and a little bit scratched. The problem withe the primary case is one I've been looking also, and you are right. I have the idea while testing and trieing, that tha shaft from thestarter seem to block in the primary case.Is it normal that tha diameter from the shaft that comes in the primary case and the diameter from the pinion who has to turn the clutch while starting is very different.
    And what would you advise: New starter original or not ? And taht problem with the primary case?

To check the starter binding in the outer primary case you can loosen all the primary case bolts just enough to allow the cover to move slightly, then try the starter.

If you decide to replace the starter I would recommend a stock Harley starter but any good starter should work fine. Stay away form the cheap chinese starters.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Big Boyz Street Heads
    207-242-8374 Cell Phone

Junior Member Biker

Thanks very much for the info. But what I don't like on that whole starter problem is that the outcomming shaft from rotor needs two other shafts to reach the primary case. When you need lots of torque I can't imagine it will work very well .
    Can you give a reply please, because I'm not so familiar with HD engines.

Junior Member Just broke my cherry!

I have a s&s super stock i need help

Quote Originally Posted by springer- View Post
    What is the actual problem with your starter? Does it turn the engine over too slow or not at all? Does it click and make grinding noise? Can you hear the starter motor spin when it should be trying to start it?
    I bought a bike from a guy that was trying to fix it and just didn't have time to complete it. My main question is I can't find no where on the Internet that shows me a diagram of the starter on this engine. He took it off and put all parts in box. I now have a high torque starter and it matched the old one but I don't know how all the other stuff went on starter shaft to correctly install it. Please help me if you know where I can find a diagram that shows all the parts and how to install correctly. Thanks. You can text me at 6623120058.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast