Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hondachopper project

Senior Member Senior Member thorsblood's Avatar

Re: Hondachopper project

Finally got this completed. Got all the mechanics debugged. The electrics straight. And painted it in the driveway after cleaning up the welds and using a very little bondo here and there. Rebar forward controls. Stripped the tabs off the front fork lowers. Electaglide handlebars. Extra 8 inches of shaft drive. I fabbed the rigid frame rearend, the seat, the fender, the sissybar, the forward controls and rear brake mechanism. Its definitely an amateur job, but it runs perfectly and is comfortable at 70 mph. Handles awesome, and even with the new rear tire I have less than $500 bucks into this bike. Ain't no bigdog but I bet I am getting close to the ride for a fraction of the price. Its great for buzzing aaround the county. Still need to cover the seat. I am looking for a new project now. I just looked at a 74 sporty that needs work for 2700.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It makes a sad statement when simply doing the right thing makes a person into a hero; it makes a sadder one still when it makes them into a criminal.
    http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...mOfTheRoad.gif

Senior Member Senior Member thorsblood's Avatar

Few more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It makes a sad statement when simply doing the right thing makes a person into a hero; it makes a sadder one still when it makes them into a criminal.
    http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...mOfTheRoad.gif

Senior Member Hardcore Biker

Fun looking bike Thorsblood!
    In 1973 I bought a used 1972 Honda 750 ( $1,250) and wife and I did a quick chop on it ( Green pic) . I wasn't near satisfied so the next season we tore it down to nothing again and we did it again ( wife was REALLY good at sanding bondo). It's was no show bike but back in 1974 you didn't see many except in Easyriders mag.
    we did ALL the work except the chrome. I learned to paint & mold ( Blue pics) , already knew electronics and learned OTS about the 750 DOHC engine.
    I removed the 4 carbs and installed a new tricky POSA "fuel injector", about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It worked suprisingly good for something new like that back in 1974 ( STAR also made one), a far cry from the new models today. It came w/ 4 needles that I tried one at a time as I drove around at all speeds to tune it up.
    You can see some old pics at my gallery ( I sure wish I'd had better pics of it but back then it was Browny camera and they lost a lot when scanned in computer a couple years ago) . It is pretty dated w/ the 7" risers and Z-bars, tank, etc. Funny though I see the Z-bars coming back and oil tanks still about the same.
    Laced Honda rear hub onto Harley rear wheel/tire. 4-into-2 exhaust. Prototype fiberglass tank.
    Wrinkle blackened the heads to set off the chrome ( I guess that idea took off!).
    10 degree rake w/ 10" over forks. Dual rectangular lites ( I STILL like those BTW!)
    disassembled shocks and shortened them 2".

We had to sell it when first son born in 1977.

750cc and more HP than my 2001 88 ci FatBoy!
    D.
    A Two-Harley Family

Senior Member Senior Member Rhino's Avatar

Looks great Thor! I bet its a blast to ride! I wish I was heading your way for the party to see it in person
    Life is good but it's not easy!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123