Thread: Texan riding from San Fran to Vancouver. What to see?

Senior Member Biker

Texan riding from San Fran to Vancouver. What to see?

Wife and I are continuing our trip from Texas this Labor day weekend via Big Bend, Copper Canyon Mexico, San Diego, Las Vegas, Zion and Bryce and then through the valley of Death, Yosemite and into San Francisco. We are looking for any local advice on the the best the Pacific Northwest has to offer. I will leave the bike in storage during the winter and drive to Alaska and across Canada next year, after seeing all I can see in your area. I have already learned of some must ride routes out to Glacier and back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I ride...therefore I am.

Senior Member Senior Member

Re: Texan riding from San Fran to Vancouver. What to see?

Sory dude, not much up this way. Bring an umbrella.

Actualy, lotsofun up this way. check back when you get a bit closer
    Never fight with a fool, others may not be able to tell the two of you apart.

Senior Member Biker

Re: Texan riding from San Fran to Vancouver. What to see?

We made it up as far as Newport, Or. where we had a bowl of Mo's Chowder as advised by a board member before we had to head inland to Portland and flew home early in case Gustav should hit Houston.

The ride out of San Francisco was made in 109 degree weather, but when we crossed over the coastal mountains into Mendocino it dropped to 55. The ride along the coast and the Redwoods was spectacular, as was the ride along the Oregon coast. A couple on a bike turned us onto a little local place behind a bait shop on the wharf in Brookings where we had great crabs and clams.

I will try to make it back out by the middle of September to resume the ride to Canada, but since I am in the restoration and adjusting end of the Storm Chasing business, Hurricane Ike may keep me focused on Florida.

As a side note, I planned on storing my bike in Washington for the winter at a cost of about $600.00, but have since learned you can park for free, under cover next to the airport police at the Portland Airport. Sweet. There is probably no place with tighter security than an Airport these days!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I ride...therefore I am.