Thread: Sporty stalls after gettin hot

Junior Member Just broke my cherry!

Sporty stalls after gettin hot

well i just bought a 1999 harley sportster 1200 back in apr and havent really had n e problems untill now. the bike starts fine and runs fine at first, but after about 15-30 mi. it starts making a putting or choking noise, then sometimes pops, and then stalls out. after it dies i try an start it back up, it sounds like it wants to turn but nothing happens, just starts clicking. lights and guages still work. after sittin for about sittin for 15-30 mins it starts back up fine but then dies again shortly after. some say its a coil prob, but i changed that and the same thing happened. others sayed it could be the crank position sensor, but when i called harley shop they said my bike doesnt have one. now im kinda wondering around in the dark. what should i check next, please help, i hate not being able to ride my baby!

Junior Member Biker

Re: Sporty stalls after gettin hot

Does it spit out smoke when you try to rev it, or when you try to restart it? I know a buddy had an issue with his air filter and it kept stalling.

HCG Technical HCG TechnicalSenior Member JD's Avatar

Welcome to the forum.

You first gotta determine if it's electrical or fuel. Then go from there.

Administrator AdminSenior Member Wide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JD
    Welcome to the forum.

You first gotta determine if it's electrical or fuel. Then go from there.
    Like he said

When it happens full off the fuel cap and see if makes a vacume suckign sound, may be vapor lock

Very common is the ignition pickup, when they start going bad they shut down when hot

Hope this helps
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

Looking for a 74 or 80 inch UL flathead , any condition, contact me if you have one for sale

Senior Member Hardcore Biker

The first part of yur problem sounds EXACTLY like the problem I chased with my carb on '96 883 until I decided to strip the carb and discovered it was the float WAY out of adjustment. Basically shutting off gas then refilling, etc, etc. Adjusting it per the manual corrected the problem 100%.
    Before that I chased intake manifold gasket tightness and the riber boot connecting manifold and carb, gas filter, vacuum lines, etc.
    One guy mentioned possible stator or coils. I rang out coils and heated and cooled and also stator heated and cooled.You can use a hair dryer followed by freeze-spray to check stator.
    The 'clicking' you mention sounds more battery than fuel or stator. POSSIBLY I wonder if you are chasing two probs. A gas supply problem ( like the float) followed by a week old battery that won't stand up to constant restarts?
    How old is the battery?
    D.
    A Two-Harley Family

Senior Member Senior Member wreckerman's Avatar

let us go at this back ass wards tighten the cables on the battery and then charge it over night also make sure it has water in the battery cells , from there pick up a cheap spark plug checker 10.00 from snap on or cheaper at auto parts store then go for a ride when it cuts out on you pull one plug wire put the tester in and turn the bike over "cranking" see if any spark shows if not then your chase electrical if that seems ok then your after fuel. post back after doing this if you need more help
    Bucket list are for Sissie, men do it while they can enjoy it

Appreciate all the help so far, i havent had a chance to try n e thing yet bc of school and work but i just thought id let yall know i havent tested for the vapor lock so ill look into that. before i had changed the coil i checked the spark on the plugs after it shut down and it wouldnt throw a spark, but changing the coil didnt fix that, so im thinking thats to do with the ignition or starter. as far as the smoke, ive only had it spit out a small cloud once since ive been havin the problem. the battery hasnt been changed yet, its got like 8,000 mi. on it, but we did tighten the cables for it. thanks for the suggestions so far, i will post an update once a try a few of these out.

Dave

Senior Member Senior Member wreckerman's Avatar

your doing like most folks ! mixing all your differnt problems into one , that is why I said start ass back wards by elevating stuff that is easy you tighten battery cables ok then put it on charge !! and be done with the power part od it , you said starter , but you never said the bike would not turn over so I am thinking that your starter is ok , you already said that you where getting no spark so it is a ignition issue and you have already changed the coil so the only other 2 parts to the system is the pick up in the nose cone or the ignition module, wide in above post already told you how to cheak the pick up by cooling it down with some freon or something close if that don't make any difference then it is a good bet that the module is bad
    Bucket list are for Sissie, men do it while they can enjoy it

ight so i went ahead and ordered a new crane cams hi-4 ignition kit for my bike, they said it should be here in about a week, hopefully this is gonna fix the problem. ill post updates once i get the new kit in, thanks!