Thread: Back a Brewin

HCG Technical HCG SupporterHCG TechnicalSenior Member gliderider94's Avatar
    Detroit. Where the weak are hunted for sport.

Back a Brewin

My son and a few of his friends wanted to make a few bucks so I finally paid them to clean out the garage. After three full days of work and four trips to the dump, the garage is clean and I've rounded up all my old brewing equipment. Lots of theprocess I need help with these days, but you woudn't believe how these young boys took to brewing. Kind of reminded me of the days when I was teaching. Anyway, I talked to their parents and they agreed that a few cold home brews would be ok for them if I monitor their intake and make sure no one's driving. Ya, I know, providing alcahol to minors, yada yada yada.

When my two older boys were in their teens I allowed for a beer or two under my supervision once in a while. They both will tell you that the experience took a lot of the mystery out of drinking and when their friends were planning on get their hands on some brews and gettin trashed, my boys were the ones proclaiming it as "no big deal".

Anyway. got a 5 gallon batch of Oatmeal Port under the ol airlock now. Figure if I'm gonna provide alcohol to minors, it might as well be something good. COOL

BEAR GREENBUD
    Tribe of the Twelve Trees
    Smokalottabud Nation

"It's O.K. to be freaked out when it's over. But if you weren't diggin it at least a little bit when it was going down then you're in the wrong fucking place."

Senior Member Senior Member HeadDoc's Avatar

Re: Back a Brewin

good deal . you inspired me to brew a batch myself. got a 55 lb sack of malt in the closet right now waiting to be crushed
    "the blues had a baby and they named it rock and roll"

Senior Member Senior Member

So I just finished a kit (box o beer) and I waited the two weeks in bottle for the ferment and it is almost flat. Temps were in the 18-24 C range throughout the final ferment.

So now I have a dark beer that tastes like molasses in water with no fizz.

I have waited another two weeks (ok tomorrow) and will try another bottle to see if it is any better.

Suggestions?

What did I do wrong?
    What could possibly go wrong?

Supporter HCG SupporterSenior Member Wild1Poet2's Avatar

cool. my son majored in biotechnology and works in the biotech business now. Anyways, he started brewing when he was in college. Even used homegrown hops. He said it is the oldest biotech application used by man. LOL I guess its the use of yeast that makes it biotech. They still have a lot of research going on involving yeast. It can be genitically modified to do lots of cool stuff. Like eat oil spills or create biofuels. As well as make beer.

So if you brew .... you're in the biotech industry.
    Life is best experienced in the company of a woman.

Senior Member Senior Member HeadDoc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D.N.F.
    So I just finished a kit (box o beer) and I waited the two weeks in bottle for the ferment and it is almost flat. Temps were in the 18-24 C range throughout the final ferment.

I have waited another two weeks (ok tomorrow) and will try another bottle to see if it is any better.

Suggestions?

What did I do wrong?
    well your fermentation temp was on the money for an ale. i am guessing that the fermentation went well? if so then you still have viable yeast in the beer and it WILL ferment more. the sweet taste suggests that it did not ferment all the way down . if you added priming sugar that would make it sweeter again, but if you had a good primary fermentation then it will eventually carbonate. be patient wait 2 more weeks and pop the top on another. when i used to bottle i could wait a month or more for the beer to get right. you could move the beer to a little bit warmer spot... no more than 72 farenheit and that might speed things up.
    "the blues had a baby and they named it rock and roll"

Administrator AdminSenior Member Wide's Avatar

Now that I have abig back yard I can set up some brewing. Got the perfect spot for it. Between my crops and meth lab LOL

Right on Bear, light them up the right way
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere"

Senior Member Senior Member wreckerman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wide
    Now that I have abig back yard I can set up some brewing. Got the perfect spot for it. Between my crops and meth lab LOL

Right on Bear, light them up the right way

wide are you sure your not living in TN , sounds like my back 40 don't forget the grapes for the wine and the still for the white lightning
    Bucket list are for Sissie, men do it while they can enjoy it

Senior Member Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HeadDoc
    Quote Originally Posted by D.N.F.

Suggestions?

What did I do wrong?
    well your fermentation temp was on the money for an ale. i am guessing that the fermentation went well? if so then you still have viable yeast in the beer and it WILL ferment more. the sweet taste suggests that it did not ferment all the way down . if you added priming sugar that would make it sweeter again, but if you had a good primary fermentation then it will eventually carbonate. be patient wait 2 more weeks and pop the top on another. when i used to bottle i could wait a month or more for the beer to get right. you could move the beer to a little bit warmer spot... no more than 72 farenheit and that might speed things up.
    Patience was the answer. I tried another bottle last night (piss warm) and it was full of bubbles with a nice head.
    I was just getting worried. All my other kits were fine in two weeks, this is a different brand so maybe it just needs more time.

One day I will try the real deal, but right now I will use the kits to save time. Too many other things to do (chores).
    What could possibly go wrong?