Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baker DD6 installation caution

Senior Member Biker

Baker DD6 installation caution

I was installing my Baker DD6 today and all went well till I put the final torque on the trap door. The main shaft and the gears associated with them turned very nicely. But when you turned the counter shaft it was binding and not smooth. Baker recommended putting some oil on the gears. Sorry I have been doing this long enough to know when something is not quite right.

I pulled the cluster back out and on bearing on the left side for the counter shaft you could see where the counter shaft was hitting the back part (closed end of the bearing). Even thaw it was not a problem with my stock 5 speed. I took a proper size bushing driver and tapped it a couple of times to move it back just a little and all is fine now.

I do wish they would not install the small seal in the main drive gear where the main shaft comes though as it is two easy to mess up the seal installing the gear sets. I have the special tool to install this seal with a protective sleeve to keep the clutch hub splines from messing up the seal on installation.
    Just a few more states and I will have them all on one motorcycle. If you see my bike on a trailer it is stolen call the police. http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...s/mapsmall.jpg

HCG Technical HCG TechnicalSenior Member

Re: Baker DD6 installation caution

I just took the baker 6 speed gear cluster back out of my bike....I did not like it as well as I thought I would

I was shifting more than I wanted to, and it almost felt like I was on a jap bike.....My primary drive is now taller, and I have a wide ration 5 speed, with bagger gears.....With the taller primary drive, it is like 5th is an overdrive, and I stay in each of the gears longer, and use the wider torque range of my big inch engine.....

had I known you were going to swap out the tranny gears, I would have sold you a gear cluster CHEAP....My tranny case is a 1993, FLHS so it would have been a bolt up deal into yours
    I let my mind wander.......It never came back

Senior Member Biker

A very small percentage of people I have talked to did not like the baker DD6 for the same reason you are saying but most said they loved it. I do not have a problem changing gears. To me changing gears is half the fun of riding or I would get the old Honda 750 automatic motorcycle. LOL I had my DD6 for several months just did not want to put it down to install it. I am all so doing many other up grades and changes besides the DD6.
    Just a few more states and I will have them all on one motorcycle. If you see my bike on a trailer it is stolen call the police. http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...s/mapsmall.jpg

I would have liked it, were it not for my engine....it was simply a matter of matching parts up. My engine has double the torque of most harleys. A big RPM drop between gears means nothing to it...
    I have nothing bad to say about the baker tranny...it just was not right for my build

Senior Member Biker

I understand different strokes for different folks. Like I said you where not alone in your opinion. I run a box stock motor other then cam plate, adjustable push rods and K&N filter for stock can as I want to see just how many miles I can get out of it stock. As long as I can cruse 80 all day I am happy. With the 5 speed I could do that but now just want better gas mileage. What really makes the DD6 any higher then the stock 5 speed in high gear is the bigger motor sprocket as the 6 in the DD6 is 1 to 1 just like 5th in a stock 5 speed. Coarse when Harley went to a 6 speed same thing but they went to a smaller rear pulley instead of a bigger motor sprocket.

the belt drive gave me a larger engine sprocket...I don't remember just how much it changed the primary drive ratio, but it did raise it

I had a little over 175K on the 95 inch engine that came out of my hot rod. I was going to just replace it with a HD crate engine, but the project kind of took on a life of it's own. Now it is on the fat side of 127 cubic inches. I don't expect it to last like the old engine. I am really not looking for better than 35 mpg either. it is just fun

Senior Member Biker

I use to be in to hot rods when I was young now all I care to do is get on it and do 600 to 900 mile days. With an engine that big and the torque you have should not be a problem to pull just about any gear.

Quote Originally Posted by 1946u
    I use to be in to hot rods when I was young now all I care to do is get on it and do 600 to 900 mile days. With an engine that big and the torque you have should not be a problem to pull just about any gear.
    That is exactly what I like about it.....I have no clue how fast it will go, and I don't want to know. it is fun to occasionally light the tire up, but that is usually something I only do from a rolling start, and without using the clutch.....
    Funny thing, my lady said that the bike was smoother after I swapped the engine. I could not understand that for a while....Then I realized that I had so much torque, I was short shifting it. There was just no need for higher RPMs, even two up, and going up hill.

It sounds silly, but I kind of treat it like a diesel pickup. I use all the torque on the low end, and never let the RPMs get high

Senior Member Biker

What is your bike a Dyna, FLHT or what?

I do have a old shovelhead I started building years ago that is 102 cubic inches and punching the numbers should have 150 HP. It has Merk cases (Is he steel in business?) Axtell cylinders STD bathtub shape heads PM spun aluminum wheels, PM brakes, PM master cylinders, GMA aluminum trees, all Andrews gears in the transmission and MUCH more. Most is new and all I really have to do is the motor. Not sure I will ever finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1946u
    What is your bike a Dyna, FLHT or what?

I do have a old shovelhead I started building years ago that is 102 cubic inches and punching the numbers should have 150 HP. It has Merk cases (Is he steel in business?) Axtell cylinders STD bathtub shape heads PM spun aluminum wheels, PM brakes, PM master cylinders, GMA aluminum trees, all Andrews gears in the transmission and MUCH more. Most is new and all I really have to do is the motor. Not sure I will ever finish it.
    it started life as a 1993 FLHS, but now it looks more like the bastard love child of a road king and an FXR

I also have an old one that I am messing with....This is one I build back in the 90s. it is a 103 incher.....I always regretted selling it, but now it is back in my garage, where it belongs

it has TO wheels and STD heads....so it goes like stink

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast