Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: custom shovelhead - starter not engaging ringgear

Junior Member Biker shovelheads4life's Avatar

Angry custom shovelhead - starter not engaging ringgear

I have a beltdrive primary, with hi torque starter. My problem is that the starter shaft will not engage the ringgear on clutch basket. I watch it turn and it acts like it dosn't travel far enough forward to engage. All though, I can manually pull the starter gear forward and it will travel far enough to engage. Is this a soloniod not strong enough to pull it forward? Another way to say the issue - the starter shaft turns over to fast before it has a chance to engage the ringgear, therefore it keeps it kicked out and justs spins freely behind ringgear. Please help, so frustrated it aint real. I did check the keyway on clutch basket to see if it had lodged out of slot, and it was seated fine like it's supposed to be. So I know the clutch basket is not sitting to far away.

Administrator AdminSenior Member Wide's Avatar

Bendix drive, replace with an accell unit, I blow them all the time on my panhead just ash the folks who jump start me LOL
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

You know your a welder when...you understand just how much time you have to finish a weld before your smoldering clothes become a problem

Cool It finially starts!

Update, I had to reem the mounting holes and adjust the alignment on the solonoid and it travels fine now. That's a big releaf all the way around. Now my solonoid is staying enguaged once in awhile. Dont know if it is because everything is brand spanking new and it just needs to be worked and loosened up, but going to look over some other blogs and find some reference's on the same issue. If this helps somebody else out there, glad I could be here for you.

If she stays engaged you may be too deep with it

These things are junk and cause issues, I like to replace them if they give problems
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

You know your a welder when...you understand just how much time you have to finish a weld before your smoldering clothes become a problem

Thank you for the response. I would like to know how deep is to deep? How far should it enguage? I cant find anything on that topic.

You just want the drive to engage and not to use the flywheel ring as a back stop

You should be good to go as you are just want to cover ll the bases for you
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

I'm not completely in the clear here. Now that I have the starter engaging the ringgear, the solonoid is hanging every once in awhile. It could have been due to the battery being low on charge, so I charged it last night. I'm in school today so I can't get to it until this evening. But all the wiring is brand new, I don't have any splices in them. So I dont believe it is due to a bad splice or anything of that nature. Being that it's intermittent, not sure how to track this down. Even the ignition is new, which I have elimenated all wiring to handlebars, I have stripped the wiring down to bare minume to keep from having a nest of chasing phantom problems down. I put in a ign that starts the bike, so no push button or anything other than key start and stop.

Another question is when the starter gear meshes with ringgear, should the teeth match half and half or is it more like quarter each? Right now since I repositioned the solonoid, it's meshing about half and half. Is this to much?

I think I see what yoru saying, mesh them half betewwn both, you want as much teeth without destroying to ring

Wireing

The negitive is most important as it where the draw is, I use the best neg cable I can find, actually have two on mine with star washers to hlp bite in.
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

Thanks again Wide for your advice, The wiring issue brings up another question - I am using a hi torque starter that has a one wire running to the solonoid, I'm not understanding how I could incorporate a two cable neg system to the existing wiring. Your input is greatly appreciated, again thanks for all your advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast