Thread: 2004 fxd primary cover leak. Need to know about sealent.

Junior Member Just broke my cherry!

2004 fxd primary cover leak. Need to know about sealent.

2004 FXD, 63000 miles. Had a leak coming from the primary cover I assume. Dealer changed the seals at 23000. I got the new seals and decided to try it myself. Did the job myself and it was fine till 2 days later I seen a drop when I stopped on a ride. Got home and that night there was 4 drops. I thought maybe I hadn't seated the seals properly as I did get a very tiny strip of the seal come off. Disassembled everything and brought the cover to the dealer and had them install the seals. Put it back together and rode for 2 days and another drop appeared. Read the service manual and checked the parts manual over and I did replace everything. I had no extra parts. Looked under the bike and as you are looking at the primary where the bolt goes on the bottom right side of the inner primary it semed to be leaking (weeping) from there. I checked the parts manual and there is no gasket there where it connect to the bike. Read the service manual again and the one thing I missed both times was it says "Lay a bead of silcone sealent on the backside matting surfaces". I never did that. I'm assuming that is why it keeps weeping a drop here and there. Went to the dealer and they said they couldn't sell me any. Not for over the counter sales. Went to Auto Zone and Advanced Auto. Nothing that actually said "silacone sealent". Lots of other Silacone though mostly by "Permatex". Does anyone know what I can use there and If I can use permatex what kind. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, cav

Senior Member Hardcore Biker Robby's Avatar

A good quality high temp RTV silicon sealant will work. I prefer the black over the rest of the rainbow that is available Don't use the household tub and shower type silicon. Use automotive specific. Lots of luck
    Jack of all trades, Master of none

Junior Member Just broke my cherry!

Think this will work

I found Permatex high-temp red rtv silicone but it is a gasket maker. Also found permatex ultra black rtv silicone gasket maker. 500 degree temp. Cannot find anything combined with silicone sealent. Think any of these will work? Thanks for the reply.

HCG Technical HCG TechnicalSenior Member JD's Avatar
    Yes pretty much any silicone in a tube is silicone sealant. You don't need the hi temp RTV for things like exhaust manifolds, just regular old silicone gasket sealant will be fine, from any auto parts store.

Before you go there, check to see that you didn't overfill the primary oil and the oil is weeping out from the output shaft seal (the one that exits the backside and into the transmission).

Administrator AdminSenior Member Wide's Avatar

I use some silver stuff called
    "the right stuff" by permatex , but its expensive and will stop anything, fantastic stuff

http://www.permatex.com/brand_right_stuff.htm
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere"