Thread: Finally Installed the Hybrid Cam Plate Kit #25284-08

HCG Technical HCG TechnicalSenior Member JD's Avatar

Finally Installed the Hybrid Cam Plate Kit #25284-08

2002 Road King. Instructions suck but the kit is nice and a thing of beauty installed.

~7,500 miles, everything in the cam chest looked new (I took caliper readings on the cams, bearings, etc.). Inner cam tensioner looked almost new, outer was grooved down 1/16" already.

I won't bore you with the installation details as there is a PDF of the instruction sheet online. I will however provide a few notes.

1. Plan. Buy the kit, read the instructions, buy the additional part number kits listed in the instructions, and buy the proper tools (I went with George's).
    2. Have the proper shop tools. This includes the factory service manual, locktite blue and red, small press, hand tools, torque wrench, bolt cutter (yes buy the adjustable pushrod kit).
    3. Stay clean and organized. There are tons of little parts everywhere. Put groups of parts in plastic bags, take pictures as you go, etc.
    4. Removing and re-installing the exhaust system is a bear. But do it. I bought a little pipe expander to get everything back round before re-assembly which helped tremendously. Also put in new exhaust gaskets. Some guys try to cheat and either remove the cam cover or just the header. Your call.
    5. The new style oil pump does not have an o-ring between the base and the cam plate. The o-ring on the oil pump suction side is the same yellow one used on the top of the pushrod tubes - be sure to replace this one. Be sure to follow the installation/alignment procedure.
    6. Take your time, this is precision work. If you are not comfortable wrenching, this isn't for you, but if you are looking for a nice project with a bit of challenge this is a good one. As noted, some of the directions are fuzzy or in one specific case wrong, but it isn't terribly difficult to figure it out. It's not rocket science either.
    7. It isn't cheap. But neither is a cam tensioner shoe failure. All said and done, parts and specialty tools, it is well over a grand, pushing closer to $1500 with misc. But you get to keep a whole box of cool tools and know exactly what is going on inside YOUR engine.
    8. Think about doing additional maintenance and modifications while everything is apart. For example, upgrade the inner cam bearings to the Timken/Torrington ones (which I did). Need to get inside the tranny cover? You get the idea. You have to remove alot of stuff to do this job.

This is a good YouTube reference video that helped me get going and will give you some idea of what you will be looking at (although this job is a bit more complicated): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5KvamRqCis
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JD; 08-17-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Senior Member Senior Member RacingOrangeRoadster's Avatar

What was the purpose for doing this?

Essentially two things. One, it upgrades the chain tensioners from the spring loaded to current hydraulic style (and also upgrades the primary chain). Second, it upgrades the oil pump to a higher output and higher scavenging design. While in there I also did the inner cam bearing upgrade as noted. The mechanic in me wanted to see the inside of a TC engine and any unusual wear or issues. My main objective is to extend the engine's service life which I believe this upgrade will accomplish.

Senior Member Senior Member wreckerman's Avatar
    good choice for a upgrade, besides the 2002 engines are bullet prove

last good year with a good crank and timpkin bearing
    Bucket list are for Sissie, men do it while they can enjoy it

Administrator AdminSenior Member Wide's Avatar

Thats a nice girdle

Something that all should have done

great post
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

Looking for a 74 or 80 inch UL flathead , any condition, contact me if you have one for sale

Yes '02 has some good features, including bottom end bearings. I'm good with the cam ball/roller bearing setup also although the newer motors are different (hence the "hybrid" designation). I am confident that this is all in correctly with no corners cut. I just hope it lives up to my expectations. Time will tell I suppose.

What's funny is this kit quieted things down enough to really highlight my noisy lifter situation, at least what I believe is from the lifters - and it was there before the kit was installed, so a new set of lifters will be installed. Other than the little bit of lifter noise, this engine is running tip top.

(new lifter thread here: http://www.harleychatgroup.com/forum...Hylift-Lifters)
    Last edited by JD; 07-28-2012 at 03:14 AM.

In hindsight, I believe the lifters can be removed through the cam chest after the cam plate assembly (with cams) is removed, which then eliminates the need to remove the lifter block covers and replace the lifter block gaskets to replace the lifters if done with this kit. Saves a little time.