Thread: Best way to tie down the Ultra

Supporter HCG SupporterHardcore Biker royd's Avatar

Best way to tie down the Ultra

Hi Folks,

It's been a while...been busy, busy. I could use some advice: I'm renting a U-Haul bike trailer tomorrow and have been researching the best way to tie the bike down. There seems to be some debate on the front end--handle bars vs front forks vs front frame. And what part of the bike would you tie down on the back end? So far the only thing i've red is to tie to the passenger foot rests' frame.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Roy
    You ain't doin' it right if it don't burn a little.

admin Site AdministratorSenior Member arthureld's Avatar
    I tie mine down by the front and rear crash bars and pull the front end down pretty far but not bottomed out.

If I'm going a long distance I put a strap around the wheels to be sure the bike doesn't shift
    Every man dies, not every man lives

Hey Art,

The crash bars won't bend?

no crash bars are strong as hell. Pull the front ones out and forward and the back ones out and backward

And if you can wrap a strap around the bottom of your wheels and tie it down low from both sides you will be covered for the unlikely possibility that wheels might slip sideways

And you can put on more if it makes you comfortable. You can pull on the handle bars and put one over the seat.

Don't rub on paint and don't put straps over anything that can break like wires or fluid lines or accessories.

You might have to drill holes in the floor of the uhaul and install eyebolts or something else to strap to

Thanks Art. I checked out the trailer yesterday and there are six metal loops bolted to the deck--one in each corner and two in the middle on the sides. I bought four ratchet tie-down straps and had two more already, so I should be good.

Senior Member Senior Member Old_Evo's Avatar
    Don't forget to stop and check everything after your have driven for a 1/2 an hour or so.
    Hope for the best, but pack for the worst!

Good advice OE. Those ratchet straps tend to come loose or wear thru and break. So continue to stop and check it often

I have a kendon trailer with the wheel chock and I think my bike would stay up and on it without straps but of course I probably will never prove that theory.