Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do you find tech stuff interesting/useful?

HCG Technical HCG SupporterHCG TechnicalSenior Member

do you find tech stuff interesting/useful?

jd mentioned something that is valid. we have many members who have varied interests in the degree of work they want to do themselves on their bikes. i am curious how many of you find the more in depth articles and posts relevant to what you are doing. Are they interesting? just wondering what the members find useful. if there is something not here, post it. we all have something to offer...

do tell-

j

Supporter HCG SupporterSenior Member Wild1Poet2's Avatar

I like it. I like reading about technical stuff even things I may never have call to use. For example: this morning I was reading and trying to understand NASA's EM Drive engine. I failed. But I'll try again later.

My dad was a mechanic and he was always explaining cool stuff to me. Valve lift, ignition timing, synchros, auto gyration of a Huey helicopter, etc.
    Life is best experienced in the company of a woman.

Administrator AdminSenior Member Wide's Avatar

I love technical stuff. Hard to find advanced content just so much has beed done
    How to articles and part reviews are the best. When I get a new ride I will spend most of my time swapping parts and dyno pulls
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere"

HCG Technical HCG TechnicalSenior Member JD's Avatar
    Thanks, Junior.

Since I am pretty much a self-taught mechanic on the Harleys, I come to this and other Harley sites for tech chat. Not that I don't enjoy the other topics, but the main attraction for me personally is "doing it without the dealer's help".

Honestly a lot of what I've figured out on my own turns out has already been done by someone out in cyberspace. Some stuff would have saved me some time and money had I found the info beforehand.

I still post though as I see people viewing these techie posts, and I am always thanked by my small group of riding friends for sharing my knowledge.

Senior Member Senior Member
    It is very valuable and you bastages better not change a thing!! If i have a question i come here!! I got a cam job coming up and will be driving you guys batshit crazy!!

Senior Member Hardcore Biker Robby's Avatar

I made my living twisting wrenches on autos for more than 30 years. The Tech. threads are great. I find the on line friendships something I return for. I read the Tech. articles over and over. They were the reason I joined. I learned to service my bikes and do the repairs/upgrades that did not require special tools.
    Jack of all trades, Master of none

Senior Member Senior Member RacingOrangeRoadster's Avatar

I am a Technical guy and made my living as a Field Service Engineer working on Cat Scans and MRI's. I like to read the Tech stuff. You just never know when you'll need that idea someone had. I don't like reinventing the wheel so I like to know how stuff works.

Tell me to read the Scarlet Letter and I'll never get it done, but tell me to read how to Pulse a Magnetic Field and I'll read it more than once.

HCG Technical HCG SupporterHCG TechnicalSenior Member
    great feedback, thanks! i don't post that much anymore. i used to do a lot of general and custom bike work before, but nowadays my time is spent elsewhere- mostly with my new wife trying to carve out some fun. i enjoy reading what other guys are doing and might even pitch in every now and then. i know my little tag on the side says i've been here since 2004, but i bet it's more like 2000. i keep coming because along with wide we've all managed to keep this place a bull-free zone. people feel free to post a question knowing that no question will be made fun of. that's hard to find anymore.

thanks all-

j

Senior Member Senior Member
    I don't service my own bike. There are several reasons, but mostly because I'm old and I like to ride. I want my bike available and safe and I can't count on me to provide those conditions. I like to read the tech stuff though. I get things from it that I occasionally send to my mechanic. He always knows what I send him, but I just wAnt to make sure he's educated. I really appreciate the information you all provide.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming Woo-Hoo, what a ride! Live for the moment".

HCG Technical HCG SupporterHCG TechnicalSenior Member Relic's Avatar
    Tech stuff is like a sour d*ck, ya can't beat it.
    My Golf Swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast