Thread: Are we there yet? FRIDAY

Administrator AdminSenior Member Wide's Avatar

Are we there yet? FRIDAY

Slow this morning heat building up a bit
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

Looking for a 74 or 80 inch UL flathead , any condition, contact me if you have one for sale

Supporter HCG SupporterSenior Member Wild1Poet2's Avatar

Not me. I been shot out of a cannon. LOL

Just glad it's Friday. I thought I fixed my TPMS problem but no. I now figured out I need to reset the TPMS system every time I start the car up. So something is faulty. Maybe the receiver is gone? Of course I should assume the simplest and that there is a dead sensor(s) battery. But it works if I reset it. I may just deactivate the system. It seems like cool tech if it would work. If I deactivate it I'll never have to worry about sensors, batteries or receivers.
    Life is best experienced in the company of a woman.
    Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Got me TPS must be soemthing easy
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

Looking for a 74 or 80 inch UL flathead , any condition, contact me if you have one for sale

Senior Member Hardcore Biker Robby's Avatar

A lot of the sensors don't have replaceable batteries. You have to by a new sensor and set the pressures. Your tire shop should have the diagnostic setup to check and reset the system. I hope yours has replaceable batteries, the sensors are pricey
    Jack of all trades, Master of none

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    A lot of the sensors don't have replaceable batteries. You have to by a new sensor and set the pressures. Your tire shop should have the diagnostic setup to check and reset the system. I hope yours has replaceable batteries, the sensors are pricey
    I already checked that and they are not replaceable. they have a 6 year life. I think the new ones have 10 year lives. The car is an '09 which is the year after the Feds mandated TPMS so the system is an early version. And it's the type of system that actually measures pressure inside the tire versus the type that uses the ABS system to calculate pressure based on changes in tire diameter.

I use a tire gauge anyway so I might just deactivate it. Then I don't have to worry about damage on tire swaps.

The Feds regulate everything. they mandated TPMS in 2008 because they thought consumers needed something to check air pressure. Also in 2008 they mandated new head restraint regulations. They have to be fixed and non adjustable for fore and aft adjustments. Also they must be within 1/8 inch of the back of your head. So OEM's hedge by manufacturing them with a "forward tilt" which forces your head into uncomfortable position(unless you compensate by reclining the seat more). Can't imagine wearing a helmet. The feds were going to mandate back-up cameras but I think they deferred that. Although a lot of cars now have them. Regulations.

Shut them off if you can
    Google it LOL

My new subi full coverage in LA is $600 year, all that safety stuff they say almost never the subis fault
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

Yeah the dealer can shut it off. Its going in for those tires they comp'd me. This Thursday coming up. So far today I got it to stay off. I'm wondering if the winter tire compound is causing too big a swing in tire temps now that the road is heating up from the spring sun? The compound is designed for 40 or below temps. Meanwhile the summer compounds are designed for 40 degrees and above. The TPMS requires I select winter or summer tires on the onboard computer.

I could also just put a strip of duct tape over the warning light on the h.