Thread: Happy Thursday!!

Senior Member Senior Member smile2005's Avatar

Happy Thursday!!

Happy Thursday Fellas! xo Another cool day with some rain possible again today. Went to the Farmer's Market yesterday and bought a few treasures. Only one more Farmer's Market next week and it's the close of the season until next May. Working again today. Have a great day!
    ~~Peace~~

Administrator AdminSenior Member Wide's Avatar

Good morning

Late start today need to get moving but those allergies are slowing me down last couple days must be from all that smoke in the air.
    We get good part our food at farmers markets, its comquat season now however you spell it LOL
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

Looking for a 74 or 80 inch UL flathead , any condition, contact me if you have one for sale

Supporter HCG SupporterSenior Member Wild1Poet2's Avatar

Howdy folks. Been running around. Tried to pass my inspection today. So after 330 miles, now all the monitors show ready status except for one; the catalytic converter hasn't completed it's test. I spoke to the tech while he had his laptop plugged trying to force it. He said it's a bit of a "black art" and they don't always know how to get the diagnostics to trigger. So we decided I'd drive the fuck out of it for another week and see if it passes and goes to ready status. The cat diagnostic runs when you're do a highway type run at 50 to 65 mph for 20 mins so it's an easy one to hit.

So as I an driving to work after wasting a few hours doing that this morning I threw a diagnostic on the h saying my left brake light was out!! LOL

Now I got to pick one up and out in in before I go back. I'm hoping auto zone carries the right one.

Basically I'm driving a computer. With about a thousand sensors.

There's a guy downstairs that works in the cafeteria from Columbia. He knew Pablo Escobar. Not sure how. Maybe they grew up near each other. I'll have to find out. Got to be an interesting story there. That's the country where the cartel had their president on the payroll.
    Life is best experienced in the company of a woman.
    Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

I know my drive cycle procedure
    If the mechanic had half a clue he could look at the diagnostics and figure it out

Running through the drive cycle sets all the system monitors so that subsequent faults can be detected. This is vital for the purposes of our PPI.

The OBDII drive cycle MUST begin with a cold start: - coolant temperature below 122 degrees F - coolant and air temperature sensors within 11 degrees of one another

NOTE: The ignition key must not be on prior to the cold start otherwise the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

F-Car Step 1: Start the cold engine directly from the key ‘off’ position. With no driver input, let the engine idle with the ECU in full control of the idle speed for four (4) minutes. ~ OBDII checks oxygen sensor heater circuits, air pump and EVAP purge.

F-Car Step 2a Accelerate with moderate throttle and shifting into 3rd or 4th gear & 2,000- 2,500 RPM ~ OBDII checks for ignition misfire, fuel trim and canister purge.

F-Car Step 2b Hold this steady state engine speed in the same gear at 2,000-2,500 RPM for 3.5 miles. ~ OBDII monitors EGR, air pump, O2 sensors and canister purge.

F-Car Step 2c Increase the engine speed at a modest rate to 4,500 RPM and hold for 10 seconds or a bit more to ensure a steady state condition.

Decelerate to 2,000 RPM without braking or depressing the clutch. ~ OBDII checks EGR and purge functions.

F-Car Step 3a: Safely pull over to the side of the road with minimal or no gear changes and certainly without double clutch blipping of the throttle. Declutch to neutral when the slowing engine speed calls for it.

Let the engine idle with the engine in neutral and with the clutch out at the side of the road. Allow the ECU to fully control idle speed with no driver input.

For a full 5 minutes, allow the engine to idle in neutral with no driver input. During this 5 minutes of idling, do not change the engine loading by switching on any accessories (like the A/C).

F-Car Step 3b: Switch the engine and key fully off after the 5 minute idle. Keep the key in the off position for 15 to 20 seconds.

F-Car Step 4: Restart the car and drive it at a moderate acceleration back up to 3rd or 4th in the 2,500 to 3,500 RPM range (i.e.: “normal driving”). ~ OBDII checks misfire, fuel trim and purge again.

Continue to drive for at least 10 minutes with the car under this steady state condition (2,500 to 3,500 RPM). ~ OBDII monitors catalytic converter efficiency, misfire, EGR, fuel trim, oxygen sensors and purge functions.

F-Car Step 5: Safely pull over to the side of the road with minimal or no gear changes and certainly without any double clutch blipping of the throttle. As appropriate, keep the engine in gear as you de-accelerate. ~ OBDII makes a final check of EGR and canister purge.

Check readiness codes w/ OBDII scanner
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

Looking for a 74 or 80 inch UL flathead , any condition, contact me if you have one for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Wild1Poet2 View Post
    Howdy folks. Been running around. Tried to pass my inspection today. So after 330 miles, now all the monitors show ready status except for one; the catalytic converter hasn't completed it's test. I spoke to the tech while he had his laptop plugged trying to force it. He said it's a bit of a "black art" and they don't always know how to get the diagnostics to trigger. So we decided I'd drive the fuck out of it for another week and see if it passes and goes to ready status. The cat diagnostic runs when you're do a highway type run at 50 to 65 mph for 20 mins so it's an easy one to hit.

So as I an driving to work after wasting a few hours doing that this morning I threw a diagnostic on the h saying my left brake light was out!! LOL

Now I got to pick one up and out in in before I go back. I'm hoping auto zone carries the right one.

Basically I'm driving a computer. With about a thousand sensors.

There's a guy downstairs that works in the cafeteria from Columbia. He knew Pablo Escobar. Not sure how. Maybe they grew up near each other. I'll have to find out. Got to be an interesting story there. That's the country where the cartel had their president on the payroll.

I reckon All Y'All may need to hit this mark to check for Cat efficiany

F-Car Step 4: Restart the car and drive it at a moderate acceleration back up to 3rd or 4th in the 2,500 to 3,500 RPM range (i.e.: “normal driving”). ~ OBDII checks misfire, fuel trim and purge again.

Continue to drive for at least 10 minutes with the car under this steady state condition (2,500 to 3,500 RPM). ~ OBDII monitors catalytic converter efficiency, misfire, EGR, fuel trim, oxygen sensors and purge functions.
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

Quote Originally Posted by Wide View Post
    I reckon All Y'All may need to hit this mark to check for Cat efficiany

Yeah I think that's the one I'm missing. I also didn't do step 2c. It's because I read something on a porsche forum to not go over 3,000 rpm and or 55mph. The tech I talked to today said to ignore that because these cars were made to run so he thought I just needed to run it harder to put the engine under some load for a steady state period. Which I guess is why he said to get on the highway and run with it. And he said that correlates to the cat diagnostic. So today I drove it like I normally do which is to let it run without short shifting at 3k. Even under low boost it pulls like a beast. This weekend I'll go for a good run.

I don't mind because I'm learning a lot. But it's still rocket science. LOL

Wide, thanks for the info. It's helpful and starting to make some sense.

How did you find out the drive cycle protocol for your car? Or did you just figure it out on your own through trial and error with a scanner?