Thread: EVO tranny and engine oil drain plugs

Junior Member Biker

EVO tranny and engine oil drain plugs

I cannot find the drain plug on my '98 EVO/Dyna Low Rider 5 speed transmission. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Pix would be best of course. Any problems with RP 75w140 in Florida? Also, last service tech stripped the threads on my oil pan drain plug. Any recommendations there? It leaks a few drops per hour, but I am afraid of it coming out on the road and dumping oil on my rear tire, not to mention engine damage

HCG Technical HCG TechnicalSenior Member JD's Avatar
    On the Evo one drain plug is on the underside and the other is on the side for the motor and transmission oils. Can't remember which is which. But since you know which one is the motor oil, the other one is the transmission LOL.

If the threads in the pan are truly stripped you will likely need to go to an oversized drain plug (Colony brand makes these), but if it can be threaded in and torqued down with at least hand torque apply some Teflon thread sealant (NOT tape) to the threads and see if that does the trick.

I run 75w-140 gear oil (as opposed to 75w-90 gear oil or 20w-50 motor oil) in the transmission and like the way it works.