Thread: bike won't start with new battery

Junior Member Just broke my cherry!

bike won't start with new battery

Having an issue with starting my harley. charged battery try to crank it, it will try to turn but wont turn enough to start. can this be possible if bike sits for a few days in the cold. just bought this battery this summer.

Administrator AdminSenior Member Wide's Avatar

If the bike is too cold and the batter does not have enough amps yeah it wont start
    When I lived back east I had a heater on my bike so it could crank over
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere"

Senior Member Hardcore Biker Robby's Avatar

It will be hard to tell you what is going on with the info supplied. Indeed batteries loose cranking power in colder temps plus a battery can loose up to 1 to 1.5% of its charge per day setting. What is the CCA of the battery, Is it a ASM type, what is the starter draw, are the cable connections clean and tight. There are lots of things that will effect cranking rpm. Checking battery voltage with no load then voltage drop under load (stater energized) You should have at least 12.2 volts with no load and at least 10.5 volts under starter load. If that is ok look at connections and then starter draw.
    Jack of all trades, Master of none

Battery was new I believe 220 cca

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    It will be hard to tell you what is going on with the info supplied. Indeed batteries loose cranking power in colder temps plus a battery can loose up to 1 to 1.5% of its charge per day setting. What is the CCA of the battery, Is it a ASM type, what is the starter draw, are the cable connections clean and tight. There are lots of things that will effect cranking rpm. Checking battery voltage with no load then voltage drop under load (stater energized) You should have at least 12.2 volts with no load and at least 10.5 volts under starter load. If that is ok look at connections and then starter draw.
    already put the tender it was green and still not enough to turn it over before battery when down again. it's about 20 today

HCG Technical HCG TechnicalSenior Member JD's Avatar
    You'll have to perform a battery load test. If that passes, then look at the cables.

My money is on the battery though.

Senior Member Senior Member RacingOrangeRoadster's Avatar

Weak battery would be my thought. If you jump start it does it turn over good?

Never jumped

Quote Originally Posted by RacingOrangeRoadster View Post
    Weak battery would be my thought. If you jump start it does it turn over good?
    Never jumped the battery always tendered it