Thread: Wednesday Coffee Wednesday

Supporter HCG SupporterSenior Member Wild1Poet2's Avatar

Wednesday Coffee Wednesday

Good morning folks. Just saw this article on the Goodyear Dunlop 402 tire. Hadn't heard about this before. I think I'm using that tire on my bike. I'll have to check.

https://www.salon.com/2018/05/16/fat...ecall_partner/

Excerpts;
    "“Inspection of the tire reveals an adhesion defect in the tire cords that led to its failure,” Derian wrote in a report submitted as part of court documents in Morris’ lawsuit.
    Failures of D402 tires stretch back at least a dozen years, records show.

Besides Patricia Morris, at least four other people have died and 22 have been injured since 2006 after D402 motorcycle tires on Harleys failed in 11 states, according to a review by Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting of state and federal court filings and police reports.

Nearly all these cases have sparked lawsuits against Goodyear. The company prevailed in two cases and reached settlements in eight others. Three more lawsuits are pending.

The nation’s top auto safety regulator should act, experts say.

“Absolutely, five deaths and 22 injuries from the same tire on motorcycles made for Harley-Davidson is a significant number and warrants an immediate investigation by NHTSA,” said Joan Claybrook, a former administrator of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the federal agency that sets safety regulations for motor vehicles and equipment, including tires, and can request that manufacturers recall vehicles and tires with safety defects.

Presented with Reveal’s findings, Goodyear insisted the tires are safe."
    Life is best experienced in the company of a woman.
    Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Administrator AdminSenior Member Wide's Avatar

Morning all

YIKES
    I never liked the dunlaps
    They had that progressive rubber compound that when you were in between wear bands it would get out of control
    Had a soft layer then under that a harder layer for better wear

Ohh boy was that a winner
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere"

Supporter HCG SupporterSenior Member Wild1Poet2's Avatar

That sounds like it could be a problem. Mixing different compounds with differing wear specs.

I've never had a blow out on a bike. Hope I didn't just jinx myself. I have friends that it has happened to and they've managed to survive but say it scares the "crap outta ya". I look over my tires once in a while looking for sidewall cuts or bulges as well as anything else weird. And of course I check tire pressures. I have a pretty good collection of tire gauges sprinkled around the house and garage and in each vehicle. So I usually can find one pretty easily.
    Now cars have TPMS sensors and even readouts on pressure. They're a pain in the neck but they do seem pretty accurate. Bikes still don't require TPMS sensors.
    Life is best experienced in the company of a woman.
    Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Administrator AdminSenior Member Wide's Avatar

You can tell tire is going as bike gets a heavy feel when going flat unless you blow it off the bead
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere"

Senior Member Senior Member RacingOrangeRoadster's Avatar

I have never had a blowout but my friend hit some debris in the road and blew out a front tire. He was 2 up and had to get over 3 lanes and it was shaking real bad. Scared me and I was just watching.