Thread: Tranmission problem

Junior Member Biker

Tranmission problem

Hi guys. I need your help. I live in the North Georgia Mountains. (North of Atlanta)
    Tuesday night, four of my motorcycle brothers came into town from Texas, to visit.
    I took Wednesday off from work. (My scoot is a carburated, 2000 Road King, 88ci, 5 speed, S&S 509 solid gear cams)

Wednesday, we all rode out of town, up and over Blood Mountain, thru Blairsville, and into North Carolina.
    We rode out to the "Tail of the Dragon" (US-129) and did that ride. It was excellent. That's where I take all my out-of-town biker guests.
    We turned around, and rode it back to Robbinsville, NC where they had gotten a hotel, for the night.
    I blasted back from Robbinsville (80mph or better) to get back to Georgia, and up and over Blood Mountain, before it got dark.
    It rained the whole way up, and the whole way back down, Blood Mountain. Dry roads, once I was off the mountain.
    Everything is going fine. 300 mile ride/day on the bike. Loving life!
    Came up to a stop sign, (way out in the sticks, far from civilization) shifted down into third, and made a right hand turn. (I was still moving)
    The motor revved, but I did not accelerate. It was like I was in neutral?

I tried shifting into first (neutral), second (neutral), third (neutral), forth (neutral), and back down again (still felt like neutral)
    *NOTE: When I stopped the bike, while in gear, with the clutch out, motor running, I could manually roll the bike forward or backwards.
    When I rolled it backwards, I could hear a faint "clickety-clickety" sound coming from the tranny.
    My final drive belt is intact, and fine. (yes; i checked that)
    I had to get it towed the last 25 miles to the house, in the dark.

Leaking black hot oil out of the transmission drive sprocket area.
    Last two days, its still leaking black oil out of the drive sprocket area. (I been working 12 hour days. Unable to troubleshoot further)

The electric starter starts the motor.
    The clutch lever pulls/releases as normal. Primary oil is pretty black, but nothing unusual.
    Shift lever, and shift linkage are normal, and still connected.
    "Dash light" comes on when I find neutral. Goes out when I shift into gears.
    I can actually hear, and feel, when I shift gears, so i am guessing all my shift linkage and shifter mechanism are still intact.
    The primary still has oil in there.
    The primary chain is at its normal tightness/looseness, when checked thru the inspection cover.

If you check any of my previous posts, you might see that I previously re-attached my final drive sprocket, after I sheared the two retaining bolts, last year.
    The final drive sprocket had ground into the inner primary case, until it locked in place, and I had to lift the rear wheel to move the bike.

I know that I have to go in there (removing the inner and outer primary, clutch, and primary chain) to replace whatever leaking transmission seals I have.
    I was reading some of the other posts on here. WHERE are you getting those super cool looking oil seals?
    My closest (Buford HD) Dealer only has HD seals for new bikes (less than 10 yrs old). I want to order some of those newer, better, seals.

SLEEPYJOHN
    Last edited by Sleepyjohn; 10-19-2018 at 09:48 PM.

Administrator AdminSenior Member Wide's Avatar

Check clutch cable first may have got frayed, then clutch adjustment
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere"

Junior Member Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide View Post
    Check clutch cable first may have got frayed, then clutch adjustment
    Will amend my original post.
    Clutch lever pulls and releases like normal.
    I originally thought clutch problems, myself.
    Too much runny black oil in there (IMO), but it seems to be "normal".

Thanks.
    Sleepyjohn

Administrator AdminSenior Member Wide's Avatar

May have sheared off one of the shafts if the clutch works and you can engage gears, that would explane the leak
    Good news trans are cheap these days
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere"

HCG Technical HCG TechnicalSenior Member JD's Avatar
    You'll have to determine what let go, the clutch pack or shaft/basket splines.

Junior Member Biker

Good starting point

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    You'll have to determine what let go, the clutch pack or shaft/basket splines.
    Thanks JD.
    I re-checked my maintenance manual, and looked at all the photos. There are no "shaft keys" that might pop out of the main shaft, or counter shaft. It looks like all gears are on the splined shafts.

I assumed that since I can pull my clutch lever, and release it, that my clutch is still intact.

Right now, I know that I can start the bike (starter motor, primary drive, and the engine should be good)
    The rear wheel and the rear drive belt are in place.

Sleepyjohn
    Last edited by Sleepyjohn; 10-19-2018 at 09:52 PM.

Things will be alot clearer with the bike on a lift and the primary cover off/open.

Junior Member Biker
    Sorry for any confusion. I am changing my original symptoms. Should I restart a new thread/topic?

I had some free time this Friday afternoon.
    I drained the primary.
    I removed the clutch inspection cover on the primary.
    I feel tension on the clutch cable, and can see the clutch spring move when I squeeze the clutch.

Right now, I just started the bike (starter motor, primary drive, and the engine work)
    I started the bike, in NEUTRAL. So far; so good!

NOW; (different symptoms from my original post)
    When I try to shift into first, I hear gears trying to grind,as they are rubbing against each other (not meshing).
    When I try to shift up, into second, I hear different gears grinding, as they are rubbing together (not messing).
    In both cases, the WRONG SOUNDS started after I shifted into gear, and started to let the clutch out.
    I DID NOT let my clutch out, all the way.
    Pulling the clutch in, and shifting back into neutral made everything quiet, once more.

I just don't know.
    But it seems like my problem is in the transmission, now.
    I have not put my bike up on the bike lift, yet. I have a brick under the kickstand, to help hold the bike upright and level, as it sits on its wheels.
    Bike is currently in my dirt, fenced in, backyard (no grass yet), with a cover over it. I don't have a garage at this house.

I will push the bike out to the driveway, and put it up on the lift, in the driveway, tomorrow morning.
    We are supposed to have RAIN tomorrow, and I hate sitting in a puddle to work on my scooter.
    I have to open my tranny top cover and see if i can see any obvious problems.
    I'm going outside now to close my clutch inspection cover, then go eat supper.

I guess i was hoping someone else has had these kinds of problems before, and might offer some suggestions or advice, before i do something wrong.
    I had a shovelhead from 1983-2003, some other H-D's for a few years, and this 2000 twincam from 2005 until now.
    I'm used to wrenching on Harley's.

Sleepyjohn
    Last edited by Sleepyjohn; 10-19-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Are you sure the clutch is releasing and not dragging? What happens if you put it into 1st or 2nd gear then start the engine with the clutch lever pulled?

Junior Member Biker

tranny problems

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Are you sure the clutch is releasing and not dragging? What happens if you put it into 1st or 2nd gear then start the engine with the clutch lever pulled?
    Sorry for the delayed response. I'e been working long hours, then it was raining.
    The bike starts in neutral. makes gear grinding noises when i try to shift into a gear and let the clutch out. So I pull the clutch back in. (I'm poor; not stupid.)

With the motor sorta warmed up (in neutral), I shut it down and shifted into first. Held in the clutch and started it up.
    It starts fast and fine.
    As I start to let the clutch out, I hear the gear grinding noise.

Since I can't really add audio to this, I would describe the noise as similar to a shifting finger rubbing against the outside of a rotating toothed gear.

Same thing happens in second gear.

But as i pull in the clutch; the noise ends.

Hopefully; this will help describe my situation. I have to go push mow my yard right now (Its sunny, dry, and semi-warm, outside)
    I'll see if I can mooch a sheet of plywood from my neighbor, so I can keep my motorcycle out of the mud while I am troubleshooting it.

Sleepyjohn