Thread: Thursday Thorium Thursday

Supporter HCG SupporterSenior Member Wild1Poet2's Avatar

Thursday Thorium Thursday

Morning everyone. Just cranking along here waiting for the last of the flu symptoms to fade away. Not as much stuff coming out of my head anymore. Unbelievable. LOL

Not sure why but was thinking of thorium reactors. In many ways far superior to uranium based reactors. Safer, they produces far less waste, and the waste has a short half-life compared to uranium waste which sticks around 500,000 years. They can't "run away" and melt through the floor like uranium reactors. The reason we don't use them? You can't get weapon grade product out of them. So originally when we used reactors as feeder systems for our nuclear weapons program we went with uranium based reactors. Just seems like now we should build a bunch of thorium based plants and free power!
    Life is best experienced in the company of a woman.

Administrator AdminSenior Member Wide's Avatar

Morning folks
    Hit the road flying today

Wicked weather yesterday about a hundred yards away there was a red supercell few miles wide that sat and did not move for 2.5 hours, dumped rain hail snow thender and lightning the entire time, was sunny over my house but 2 blocks away was flooded and snow. all the roads got flooded. was really cool to see

First day of spring in my hood LOL

https://ktla.com/2019/03/20/spring-k...erstorms-hail/
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere"

HCG Technical HCG SupporterHCG TechnicalSenior Member Relic's Avatar
    Right now, companies are too lazy to invest in Thorium. Uranium is plentiful and they've been using it for years. The excuse is the tech isn't there, but that is not true.

Another thought is, companies spend tons of money on disposal and storage of spent Uranium, why not put the shit on a rocket and shoot it to the sun?
    My Golf Swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch.

Supporter HCG SupporterSenior Member Wild1Poet2's Avatar

From what much smarter people have told me it takes a lot less thorium to equal the same energy from uranium and that in about 250 years it decays to a less dangerous level of radiation than uranium does. So since there is far less waste it is easier to safely store. i think one ton of thorium makes the same energy as 50 tons of uranium. Only problem is it doesn't produce plutonium as a byproduct which is used for nuclear weapons. I know enough to keep myself amused. LOL
    Life is best experienced in the company of a woman.

Administrator AdminSenior Member Wide's Avatar

Im clueless LOL
    I'll keep working
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere"