Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get waterspots off of chrome

How to get waterspots off of chrome

Anybody have a particular product that they use to get water spots off of chrome?

We have really hard water here...leaves lots of water spots no matter how quickly you dry.

Thanks!

Senior Member Senior Member OldSalt's Avatar

Re: How to get waterspots off of chrome

I use a product called "Never Dull" which will get just about anything off your bike if you rub long enough.

I started using the product while in the U.S. Navy back in 1986. We had to shine all the brass on the ship and make it shine. There is a lot of brass onboard our ships. Well, salt water can tarnish brass to a deep green/purplish color as well as cake salt on the brass. Never-Dull gets that crap off and shine the brass brillantly.
    "Old Salt"
    2003 FLSTCI

It is better to live 1 day as a LION, than 100 years as a SHEEP.

Senior Member Senior Member

got to agree with the never dull, back in the late eighties got a custom van and the chrome rims had tarnished a bit, shit even a little rust on a couple..asked around and someone told me about never dull, bought some and worked like a charm..if i remember correctly in came in a can, and you would rip off a piece and use that..
    theres no fun without any risk...

Senior Member Hardcore Biker buck's Avatar

You might want to try "Mr Clean" carwash system. I bought it at WalMart. It comes with a water/soap dispensing nozzle that has a filter for a spot free rinse. It actually seems to work pretty well. On most sunny days when i wash my bike i rarely have to use a towel on it. I havent had any water spots on it yet.

I can second buck's recommendation for the Mr. Clean system. I bought it last week and have used it on my bike and truck and it works really well. I would still use a microfibre rag for final detailing, but the filtering system included with the Mr. Clean package leaves a beauty finish without water spots.

Regards,

SM

Senior Member Senior Member Growlpipe's Avatar

Seriously, if your bike isn’t really dirty with mud all over it then don’t use water to clean it. You actually do more damage to your bike by using water. There are many good waterless cleaners out there. The best that I’ve found is www.badtothebom.com The Bom is awesome. I very rarely use water to clean my bike. If I do it’s with a very light spray, mostly with Distilled Water (the solids in your water can and will scratch the hell out of your bike) , then I dry it immediately with soft, cut micro fiber towels. Then I go over it with The Bom. It works for me.
    I don't know all I know, I know it.

Awesome Advice--Appreciate it on both fronts!
    Ken
    It's not the Destination--its the JOURNEY; Harley-Davidson Style!!!
    Ride each day like it is your LAST!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Growlpipe
    Seriously, if your bike isn’t really dirty with mud all over it then don’t use water to clean it. You actually do more damage to your bike by using water.
    FWIW I can't resist commenting on this. The statement above reminds me of the Rubs who advertise their bikes for sale after the novelty has worn off and they have a tag line that reads "never seen water, let alone rain".

There's nothing wrong with looking after your equipment, but like anything else some things can be taken too far. It's a bike for crying out loud. Some people have to accept the fact that no vehicle is going to stay in pristine condition unless it is left in the crate.

Perhaps somebody should add a comment to the "define a biker thread" that says real bikers aren't afraid to get wet.

Regards,

SM

Senior Member Biker

I agree with Growlpipe about the use of water. That is why I like to use Mist-n- shine with the special rag. Its alittle pricey but it works great ,even on water spots!
    Mike

Senior Member Senior Member Growlpipe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by speedman
    Quote Originally Posted by Growlpipe
    Seriously, if your bike isn’t really dirty with mud all over it then don’t use water to clean it. You actually do more damage to your bike by using water.
    FWIW I can't resist commenting on this. The statement above reminds me of the Rubs who advertise their bikes for sale after the novelty has worn off and they have a tag line that reads "never seen water, let alone rain".

There's nothing wrong with looking after your equipment, but like anything else some things can be taken too far. It's a bike for crying out loud. Some people have to accept the fact that no vehicle is going to stay in pristine condition unless it is left in the crate.

Perhaps somebody should add a comment to the "define a biker thread" that says real bikers aren't afraid to get wet.

Regards,

SM
    I never said I didn’t ride in the rain. Rain ain’t shit. I’m a Waterfowl Hunter for Christ’s sake.!! I live in the fucking rain, that’s when the best shootin’ is, and I damn sure don’t mind ridin’ in the rain. Of course I would prefer not to. I can’t really think of a time when it was pourin’ ass outside and I said, “You know, I’m goin’ for a fuckin’ putt”. But I have been caught many times in the rain and kept blastin’ right on.

I don’t just own the damn bike, I ride it. I just sold a ’80 FLH that I rode for 15 years, motor was rebuilt a total of three times while I owned it, one bottom end, two top ends for various reasons. It looked damn close to brand new, original paint, and no shit on the chrome. 24 years old. And no I didn’t have a tag line saying "never seen water, let alone rain" when I sold it!

I just prefer not to use water to clean my shit. Water causes problems in the long run. MECHANECAL PROBLEMS!

Cut me a break here speedman! What the fuck ya tryin’ to do? Ruin my reputation? Did I just hear you call me a damn RUB?
    I don't know all I know, I know it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast