Thread: Ramjet

Junior Member Just broke my cherry!

Ramjet

Hi, can anyone help with installation instructions for a ramjet for my shovelhead???

Took the clutch apart a while ago to do an open primary conversion and can't remember where the ramjet goes.

Any help appreciated.

Senior Member Biker

Re: Ramjet

RigidShovel,
    Are you referring to the nylon RamJet retainer?
    Soretailcat
    "Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most."

yep....the hard black plastic thing....sorry...not a bike mechanic...where does it go, and what are all the letters for....does it go with the letters facing in and does it go on last before the outside plate goes on.

Senior Member Biker

RidgidShovel,
    Here we are:
    1.The clutch hub and its key are torqued up to the tranny input shaft. (60 ft.lbs, nut is left hand thread. Don't forget the nut lock.
    2. Smear a bunch of grease on the inside of the bearing cage and install the 28 rollers...you might have to use a little extra grease to hold the bearings in while installing the cage over the clutch hub.
    3. Install your clutch shell, primary chain, engine sprocket and chain adjuster all at one time.....oops, I guess you are running a belt instead of a chain...procedure is the same.
    4. The Ramjet retainer is now installed over the clutch hub studs. If you notice it is shaped like a top hat and the letters face toward you. Before you install it, look at the letters and holes.....All of the "A"s will be the same depth, all the "B"s the same etc. The deeper the bottom of the hole, the more side play the clutch shell will have when the clutch is DISENGAGED. Push the retainer up on the hub studs with the three long studs going through the "A" holes(or B or C holes). Push it all the way against the shell. There are 3 tiny snap rings that hold the retainer in place .The grooves for the snap rings are on the long studs. If you can't see a groove with the retainer all the way up, select a deeper set of holes and try again. When it is set up correctly your clutch shell will have .020" to .030" side to side movement. You may want to set the shell up without the primary drive attached first to make sure it is spaced correctly. Those retainers are usually pretty tight and a pain in the ass to put on and off sometimes, so if you are only working with the shell you can use it to help pull the retainer off for resetting.
    These things work really well and will keep your shovel dry clutch, or pan or knuck for that matter, from dragging. It limits the movement of the clutch shell when the clutch is pulled in keeping the pressure off the clutch plates because it won't allow the shell to walk off the hub toward the plates putting torque on the plates.
    Hope this helps.
    Soretailcat
    "Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most."

mate....you're a bloody legend....thanx heaps and I'll give you a yell this afternoon to let you know how I went.

Nice cold beer owed to Soretailcat