Thread: Installing Rinehart exhaust system?

Member Biker

Installing Rinehart exhaust system?

I ordered a Rinehart exhaust for my 98 Wide Glide and open the box, no instructions.... Not ever having installed a complete exhaust I have some questions.

How hard is the deinstall? I installed the SE slipon's so I can get those off, what's the procedure for the rest of the exhaust. I also have a crossover.

Installing the new?

Anything in particular I need to worry about? Any gotchas?

TIA

Vince

HCG Technical HCG TechnicalSenior Member JD's Avatar

Re: Installing Rinehart exhaust system?

Not too hard, remove all exhaust clamps and clamps to the mounts first. I always spray some penetrating oil on the pipe joints (cold exhaust) prior to disassembly, seems to help free everything up a bit. You might have to use some wire or something clever to hold things up at some point.

Installation is pretty easy too. Get everything loosely connected and fitting properly then begin to tighten everything. Again, you might have to use some wire or something clever to hold things up at some point. Be sure not to gorilla overtighten clamps as you may want to disassemble again someday. Take special care at the engine exhaust ports, do not overtighten these nuts (like 10ft-lbs max). I always use some hi-temp antisieze on the studs. You may want to install a new pair of exhaust manifold gaskets while you're in there.

HCG Technical HCG SupporterHCG TechnicalSenior Member gliderider94's Avatar
    Detroit. Where the weak are hunted for sport.

Installing any exhaust system is pretty straight forward regardless of the make. When installing, the best reccomendation I can make is to not torque the exhaust flange nuts (at the cylinder heads) all the way until the exhaust system has beem mounted to all the mounting brackets and frame tabs. Then, once the system has been full installed (minus heat sheilds) torque the flange nuts first, then the rest of the mounting bolts and brackets. This will ensure a good fit at the cylinder head. Also, always use a new compression gasket (between the pipe and the cylinder head) when installing a new system. They are pretty cheap and will ensure a robust seal at the head port.

The only other thing I can tell you about the Reinharts is, I don't know about the other models, but the heat sheilds for the dresser pipes (some call them beauty shields) are a serious pain in the ass as they are a one piece end to end design, but I love them. They sound, look and preform great.
    BEAR GREENBUD
    Tribe of the Twelve Trees
    Smokalottabud Nation

"It's O.K. to be freaked out when it's over. But if you weren't diggin it at least a little bit when it was going down then you're in the wrong fucking place."

Member Biker

Thanks guys, okay new gaskets and some type of oil to loosen stuff up. Unfortunately my bike is still at my uncles garage for winter so I'm having a hard time visualizing how the pipes connect to the head.

The parts I got with the pipes appear to only be bracket related, so I reuse the OG parts to connect to the exhaust manifold/cylinders? Do I need anything special like a sealant for the bolts and/or gasket up there? Or does heat just seal it up, and you said 10ft/lbs? How tight on the bracket bolts do you think?

My shields are also one piece right on the pipes, why is that a PITA?

Vince

HCG Technical HCG TechnicalSenior Member JD's Avatar

Each exhaust flange is held onto studs in the head by fine thread nuts. The gasket fits into the exhaust port and will make a complete seal with the exhaust heat and little force. Tighten it all down good to the chassis mounts, just don't gorilla tighten the pipe clamps. Once you get into it you will see its not too difficult.

Member Biker

Thanks all! I talked to the tech guy at Bub and he was surpised I had no instuctions, or gaskets for that matter. He emailed me install instructions ASAP, and offered to send anything I'm missing. Gotta take a closer look tonight.

According to the install instructions they use a special thinner gasket with their pipes.

Hopefully in the next week or so I'll get these puppies on, and I'll let you know how it went.

Thanks!

Vince

Member Biker

Just installed BUB's on my Road King, when putting those gaskets on the heads, I put some dielectric grease on them to hold in place till I got the flanges up there. Also put some high temp silicone on inside of muffler flange for a nice seal.
    When looking for your destination, don't lose sight of the journey.