Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: twin cam rebuild

Senior Member Hardcore Biker

twin cam rebuild

How much $$$ are you looking at to do a complete rebuild on a twin cam motor? Also, what would it cost to do the same with the tranny? The reason I'm asking is that I found a guy with a 99 road glide for sale with 90,000 miles on it for 10 grand. The bike is running great and is extremely clean with some nice accesories.I could probably talk him down a little. I figured if I could get the work done at a decent price I'd buy it, ride it this summer, and rebuild it this winter and have a new bike.
    Any opinions?

Ranchhand

Senior Member Senior Member wreckerman's Avatar

Re: twin cam rebuild

it is really hard to say on this , but most likly the transmission would not need much. The engine on the other hand, you might want to consider buying a big bore kit then all you would need is rods, bearings, and oli pump rebuilt, but let me warn you most likly the little things will eat you up. Think about these items also wheel bearings, tires, battery, cables, fork bearing, shocks, I think you get the idea. Not to say it would be a bad investment, but you have to remember all these items could have high millage on them and would all be subject to failure. Better thought here, if the bike looks good and runs good do a quick vavle job, pistons and rings cam bearings, and ride the hell out of it.
    Bucket list are for Sissie, men do it while they can enjoy it

Thanks for all the advice Wreckerman. I'm about to sell my sporty and am not sure which direction I want to go next, touring bike or custom. I know there is a lot of difference in the two. I want a comfortable bike I can go all day on, but I want to be able to find it in the parking lot. I always liked the road glides because they are streamlined and you just don't see as many of them around.I think that is my new direction for TODAY! I'll bother you with some more ???? tomorrow.

Thanks again,
    Ranchhand

HCG Technical HCG SupporterHCG TechnicalSenior Member

couple ways to go imho....

freshening it up and putting a 95 kit with cams would run @ $2-3k, more if there is a part failure unbenownst to you in there. the other way to go would be to simply pick up a complete crate engine for @$3k.....

just some food for thought...

j

Senior Member Biker

Ranch,
    About a month ago I took a bike shops customers 2005 twin cam to 95", 9.7 to 1 compression S&S pistons, S&S gear drive .570 lift cams, S&S Super E carb and intake, Daytona Twin Tech programmable ignition, converted the guides to evo guides, used evo Performance Machine Black Diamond valves, ( 1.900 Intake and 1.630 exhaust), ported the heads and flow tested them, S&S valve springs and lift set up for cams to .600". S&S adjustible pushrods, tappet travel limiters, and pushrod tubes. All gaskets and seals were replaced as well as a Pingle petcock.
    Parts and labor was around $3500.
    Soretailcat
    "Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most."

junior if it were a evo he could find the motor complete for 2to3 k but it is a twin cam and i dont think he will find a motor that cheap , 95 kit would be best option

HCG Technical HCG SupporterHCG TechnicalSenior Member

hd of west virginia has crate tc88 silver/chrome for @$3,000...i bought the black/chrome one i have now for 3200 three years ago....

j

Administrator AdminSenior Member Wide's Avatar

They have some really great prices

Added a link to our link page 1beer
    .-/c-.,_ /
    (_)'==(_)

Looking for a 74 or 80 inch UL flathead , any condition, contact me if you have one for sale

WOW i thought they were higer then that, i need to get out more

i gotta say that if you'd actually consider paying 10 grand for a bike with 90k on it ...i guess i have to know the number to your weedman because my stuff just aint workin....lol...for 10 grand I would just buy a new one and then finance the rest....your talking about throwing another 10 into it when your done...id rather just spend the money on a new one or at the very least buy one thats a few years old....90k on any bike is a-fuckin-lot..i dont care how well it was takin care of
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."
    Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast