Thread: detachable tour pack kit

detachable tour pack kit

I installed the detachable tour pack kit this weekend. It was very confusing getting the correct parts. Even the dealership guys had to put their heads together to get the correct parts. I installed the kit for the removable backrest at the same time. The HD catalog says that these parts will fit FLHT models but when you look at the instructions the first paragraph states that the parts will not fit the FLHTCI or FLHTCUI. The dealership agreed to let me return the parts if they didn't fit. Installation was confusing due to having to refer to several different part numbers but it was well worth it. It's nice to be able to take the trunk off and only use it for the long rides. Bike handles better and I like the look. Now to install a hidden antenna in the fairing. I think someone here posted on how to install one so I am going to try to find it. If your considering installing the detachable tour pack kit go for it. Just be prepaired to spend some bucks.

HCG Technical HCG SupporterHCG TechnicalSenior Member gliderider94's Avatar
    Detroit. Where the weak are hunted for sport.

Re: detachable tour pack kit

Quote Originally Posted by 03FLHTCI
    The dealership agreed to let me return the parts if they didn't fit.
    Your dealership should allow you to return ANY recently purchased part for NO REASON. If they don't they are total pieces of shit and I would to refuse to give them anymore of my money.

This, I agree, would exclude any electrical parts wherin the factory seal on the packaging has been broken.
    BEAR GREENBUD
    Tribe of the Twelve Trees
    Smokalottabud Nation

"It's O.K. to be freaked out when it's over. But if you weren't diggin it at least a little bit when it was going down then you're in the wrong fucking place."

Senior Member Senior Member

Most of the problems associated with tour-pak fitment is caused by the fact that both the FLHTC/I, FLHTCU/I come with tour-paks as standard equipment. The FLHT does not. The antenna is the problem. Relocation kits don't include the antenna, and mast kits come with tour-pak mounting hardware, which you don't need.

For your purposes, a hidden antenna isn't something I'm familiar with.
    Since you're not dealing with a CB antenna, I'd imagine that hiding the stock antenna will be fairly simple. The stock antenna is incredibly flexible and will lend itself to being cut down. You will suffer some signal degredation at distance but it's worth a try since you're going to shit-can it anyway. A new, stock antenna mast is about $18 if you ever want to go back to the original length.
    A heart stained in anger grows weak and grows bitter, you'll become your own prisoner as you watch yourself sit there wrapped up in a trap of your very own chain of sorrow.
    -John Prine

The dealership was wanting another $111 for the antenna relocation kit. I have already spend $260 with them just for the detachable kits. I still have another $250 to go just to get the detachable backrest and pad. This turned out to be a little more expensive than I had planned. I have seen alot of people install the small flexible rubber antenna sold at Radio Shack but I want to avoid having to swap out antennas every time I want to use the tour pack.

HCG Technical HCG SupporterHCG TechnicalSenior Member gliderider94's Avatar
    Detroit. Where the weak are hunted for sport.

I've gone the full Monty with any Tour Pak, back rest, lugage rack made for FLHTC, FLHTCU, FLHTCUI both fixed and detachable. Yes, it can rack up some real bucks in a hurry. I do however love to have the ability to pop the Tour Pak off when I don't really need it. I have also bought an additional detachable Tour Pak base plate and mounted it to the bottom of a small cooler. That way I can take along some cold drinks (beware, you'll discover a lot of new friends that you never knew you had if you're the only guiy on the run with cold beer).

WARNING! DO NOT buy any detachable anything without spending the extre $30 or so for the locks. I know guys who make a habit out of looking for bikes with the detachable mounts. They can and will snatch a Tour Pak on no time. A fully painted and trimmed out Tour Pak is around $1000 plus whatever is indside of them and they can be sold in any biker bar for $200 or $300 in a minute.

As far as the best answer to the antenna issue. I saw it here not long ago. I don't remember who's idea it was but it's the perfect solution...

Go to any auto parts store and buy one of those flexible, short rubber replacement automotive antenas. Buy the one with the shortest coaxel. Pull your fairing off. Coil up the coaxel and fasten it with plastic ties and plug into your radio and then lay it and the rubber antenea on top the radio. Secure it any way you can. Duct tape will work fine in a pinch, although I made some jury rigged metal straps and fastened it to the radio using existing screws allready on the body of the radio. This is now your functional antenea. Then put the fairing back on concealing the entire deal. I left the original factory antenea on the Tour Pak, but unhooked it and removed the original cable. The original antenea is now just a dummy. It's there just for looks. Like I said, not my idea, I got it here, but it works great and I can now pop my Tour Pak on and off an not have to deal with any antenea bullshit.

If anyone can remember a link to the post I'm refering to please post it. There was a picture that showed the entire thing brilliantly.
    BEAR GREENBUD
    Tribe of the Twelve Trees
    Smokalottabud Nation

"It's O.K. to be freaked out when it's over. But if you weren't diggin it at least a little bit when it was going down then you're in the wrong fucking place."

Senior Member Senior Member LostLake's Avatar

I looked at my stealer and they wanted $1000 for the detachable tour pack setup....

I think it was like this:

New main bracket $250
    New bracket on the pack $150
    New sissy bar $150
    New backrest pillow $100
    Small brackets for ? (locks maybe?)$30 each
    Antenna relocation kit $30

And with install it runs almost $1000 american. That's crazy!!

If anybody has a better way I'd love to hear it... I love my bagger .. Sometimes.

I'd love to drop that trunk most of the time!
    MIDWEST TRIBE
    LL

I may not hit the bottom,
    But I rub the hell out of the sides......

Thanks for the advice about putting cable locks on the trunk. That is the only thing that worries me about using anything detachable. I like to be able to detach the tour pack and leave it locked in a hotel room when I get to where ever I am going. I know what you mean about carrying the beer too! Seems like when I ride with a group they like to see how much beer my bike can carry. I'm headed to the auto store today to get the antenna and install as you suggest.

HCG Technical HCG TechnicalSenior Member JD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gliderider94
    WARNING! DO NOT buy any detachable anything without spending the extre $30 or so for the locks. I know guys who make a habit out of looking for bikes with the detachable mounts. They can and will snatch a Tour Pak on no time. A fully painted and trimmed out Tour Pak is around $1000 plus whatever is indside of them and they can be sold in any biker bar for $200 or $300 in a minute.
    Excellent advice, and I couldn't agree more. Most guys don't even know these exist. After spending $$$ (hate to even admit how much) on the sissy bar, pad, rack and bag, its cheap insurance. I wish there was a way to lock down the windshield on the Road King. I've heard of windshields getting stolen as well, and its over $100 to replace.